Covering Masonite Board Question

Decorating By 2winboyz Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 12:50pm by 2winboyz

2winboyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2winboyz Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 6:00am
post #1 of 5

I will be delivering an 6-8-12-16 wedding cake this saturday and will be using masonite board as the base and as well as SPS. I plan on covering the board with silver florist foil. I have tried using regular elmer's glue to attached a cake board to the foil before and didn't find that successful. What's the best way to do this? I'll be attaching the 16" cake board to the covered masonite board. Will that be enough to keep the cake from sliding of the masonite board since I won't have a central dowl through it?

Also I made the mistake of ordering a 16" 1/2 masonite board instead of an 18" and have no time to reorder. My local cake supply store only carries 1/4" thick boards. Will this be sufficient to carry the weight of this cake?

Thank you!

4 replies
Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:38am
post #2 of 5

I'm confused. Your base/display board is 16"? And you bottom cake is 16" inches? Why do you need another cake board? Just do it up on the mesonite.

As to whether it will be strong ebough I can't say but I would think it would be next to impossible to assemble and transport/lift this cake if the base is the same size as the lower tier. You may consider assembling on mesonite and getting 3-4 pieces of foam core to cut glue together and cover. Jmo. I'm interested in what others think

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:01pm
post #3 of 5

You should be able to get some masonite cut at Lowes or Home Depot as that is where I get mine. As far as putting the foil over it, I just stick mine on with tape underneath and you won't need anything else to stack your cake on. The masonite is strong enough or if you want you could get some 1/2' builders grade plywood and cover it. Builders grade is nicer on one side. I have also done this. I hope this has helped you.
evelyn

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 5

Also. I just use contact paper for my mesonite boards. You can get solid colors or marble, etc.

Yeah X that foam core deal I doubt it would be strong enough.

2winboyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2winboyz Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 5

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the cake board for the bottom tier and how to 'glue' it to the florist foil that will be used to cover the masonite board (since color may leak and it's not food safe). The cake board would be 16" and the masonite board should have been 18" but I absentmindedly bought an 16" instead, argh! . I was rushing to get the order in on time. So gluing the cake boad to the foil in the past has not worked but I think I could put a small piece of contact paper on top of the foil and try gluing that part to the board. I want to make sure the cake won't shift. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for taking the time to respond icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%