Should I Take The Wilton Courses?

Decorating By heddahope Updated 24 Oct 2009 , 10:01pm by auntmamie

heddahope Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:08am
post #1 of 18

I am having a problem with my buttercream, getting it smooth. Should I try the Wilton courses? Or should I just do more practice? I haven't done many cakes just the ones in my photos.

I don't know how to attach photos, but my last cake was the alligator one in my photos, any advice would be great.

17 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:16am
post #2 of 18

Nooooooooo! Skip Wilton, get a Sugarshack DVD. No amount of Wilton anything will ever get you to a level like Sharon's DVD's. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:17am
post #3 of 18

http://sugaredproductions.com/

Here, this is a link to her site. DVD info and blog and all kinds of great stuff.

heddahope Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:24am
post #4 of 18

Thanks for the quick reply.

I actually just ordered it earlier this week, just waiting on it to come in.

I was reading another thread or something and they were talking about creating a vacuum to keep the air bubbles out? I think I may need to get a stand mixer, lol.

THese are the best DVD's then?

heddahope Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:26am
post #5 of 18

Sharon actually only lives about an hour or so from me, I wonder if she teaches classes?

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 6:00am
post #6 of 18

I don't think you can make it without a stand mixer. I make her recipe when it's too hot for SMBC, a non crusting recipe. But, just about every technique she shows you can apply to any frosting you use.

MrsSoul Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:40am
post #7 of 18

Hi Hedda,
I am a La girl too WHo DaT!

But anyway you dont really need the course to assit with the butter cream. I had a problem with it in the beginning (way back to January '09 icon_smile.gif) andf I use a hand held mixer this is what works for me. Cream your shortening and flavor in a big bowl, in smaller bowl add all your dry ingredients blend them for about 30 seconds then slowly add them to your cream if it is too loose add more sugar, too thick a little water.

I hope this helps!

icon_smile.gif

heddahope Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:22pm
post #8 of 18

Thank you so much for the advice.

OT: the dome was rocking Sunday, what a great game!!!

Anybody have any other suggestions? How thick should the buttercream be?
I am thinking I am not putting enough on.

BlakesCakes Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:16am
post #9 of 18

You know, the Wilton classes are so cheap, especially if you already have a lot of the materials, that you can't really lose by taking them.

Just the chance to talk in person to other people with the same interestes, share tips, getting questions answered in real time, finding out what works--and doesn't work-- for others and for yourself, weekly cakes, etc.

I take pretty much any and all opportunities to mingle with other cakers. icon_wink.gif I really believe that you can learn something EVERYWHERE!

Just a thought.............
Rae

dsilvest Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:37am
post #10 of 18

I agree with Rae. I just sat in at the courses and took notes. I never tried to do anything but learned from everyone elses mistakes and victories. Even if I only picked up a few new pointers it was worth it.
Most of the courses were 50% off so they were not expensive.

miny Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:52am
post #11 of 18

They were very useful for me because you need to learn at least the basis for piping, after that you can just check CC and you are done!

icer101 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:04am
post #12 of 18

i assure you.. it is not a waste of your time.. unless you think you know it all anyway... i teach it.. i have students that say . i,ve been decorating for about a year. something like that.. but i am so glad i took these courses.. they say just being in class and around others with the same interest helped them alot. they have said.. i,ve been piping borders . etc.. but i did not know the proper way.. and they were so pleased and thankful to learn more.. i,ve been decorating 14 yrs.. i even learn some things from the students.. ha! i like that.. hth if and when they come into class without icing and bags and tips.. i loan them mine.. so they can practice in class. that way they do deserve a certificate at the end of the 4 wks.. i say .. this is not a note taking class. this is a work in process.. ha!! they laugh and take my offer of my things and practice along with the rest of us .. and they thank me when it is all over ..

indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:26am
post #13 of 18

Sharon's video is great and another good one is tonedna's.

I'm totally self taught but I'd say take the class. Add'l education is never a bad thing! thumbs_up.gif

tigerhawk83 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:27pm
post #14 of 18

I took class I and loved it - really gave me the basics and I had a fabulous instructor and only 5 gals in the class so we really got personal attention. Now that I've had that class, I'm just teaching myself the rest right now, but it's the little things that I learned in 4 weeks that I hadn't figured out for myself in 2 years that really helped me.

metria Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:48pm
post #15 of 18

One of the problems with the Wilton class is that you have to make your icing at home and then bring it in. If you're having trouble with making icing, there's not much your instructor can do for you except maybe help you water it down if there's a sink in the class room. Beginners like me don't really know how stiff "stiff consistency" should really be!

heddahope Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:27pm
post #16 of 18

Thank you everyone for the advice.

I will try and take the courses but it will probably be awhile since the closest place is like 45min-1 hr away and I have the 3 babies and I'm still nursing.

I am hoping the hubby gets me a stand mixer for Christmas so I can try Sugarshacks buttercream exactly.

favrtdtr Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:31pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by heddahope

Thank you everyone for the advice.

I will try and take the courses but it will probably be awhile since the closest place is like 45min-1 hr away and I have the 3 babies and I'm still nursing.

I am hoping the hubby gets me a stand mixer for Christmas so I can try Sugarshacks buttercream exactly.

They are often 50% off starting in Jan - I took them Jan of 08 and had a ball - would love to take them again but like you they are 45 min to an hour away.... Good luck and I hope hubby gets you a stand mixer for Christmas too....

auntmamie Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 10:01pm
post #18 of 18

I learned alot from these classes - the royal icing flowers really helped!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%