Decorating By bubblez Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 5:35am by bubblez

bubblez Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:32am
post #1 of 11

I am new at this and need lots of help. lol

Someone asked me if I could make them a strawberry short cake, but they would like it to be covered in fondant. I have tried once but the whip in the layers dissolved or melted into the cake. I don't know if this is a dumb question because I only started making cakes a couple of weeks ago. Please help me.

10 replies
prterrell Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:37am
post #2 of 11

Strawberry shortcake covered in fondant? My response would be, sorry that's not physically possible.

My strawberry shortcake is yellow butter cake filled with strawberries and iced in whipped cream. If they wanted fondant, then they could have the cake and filling, but the undercoat for the fondant would be buttercream. To me, that's no longer strawberry shortcake, but just a strawberry filled cake.

MnSnow Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:39am
post #3 of 11

Is it strawberry shrtcake you eat or strawberry shortcake design like for kids?

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:44am
post #4 of 11

You can't cover whipped cream in fondant, it's too wet and like you noticed, the whipped cream will melt into the cake after a while.

They'll probably have to pick, either a strawberry shortcake, or a fondant-covered cake.

patticakesnc Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:01am
post #5 of 11

Unless they are willing to sub the whipped cream for buttercream its a no can do. I have had customers agree to take buttercream and I did a nice fresh strawberry filling.

bubblez Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:05am
post #6 of 11

It is a strawberry short cake you eat, not the cartoon.

I thought I was crazy because I couldn't make it work. lol
How about stabilized whipped cream? Will that hold up under fondant?
Or should I just use butter cream and strawberries in the layers?

bubblez Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:08am
post #7 of 11

This is a great site. I can't believe how quickly you can get an answer to your questions. Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:10am
post #8 of 11

I wouldn't use stabilized whipped cream either. Buttercream and strawberries should be fine. I would refrigerate it because of the strawberries though.

G_Cakes Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:13am
post #9 of 11

I did a strawberry shortcake and it held up ok...matter of fact I posted a thread on CC asking the same question.

I did a tiered cake filled with strawberries and whipped cream.

What I did is covered the bottom of the layered cake with buttercream, not to much but enough so that nothing would seep through and make the cake soggy.

Then I put a layer of thinly sliced strawberries, and on top of that the whipped cream.

The key to making this work is 3 fold:

1) layer of buttercream first
2) good stiff buttercream dam to contain the filling and cover the cake before you cover it in fondant
3) keep the cake very cold until time to serve!

The cake I did was a 14", 10", 6" and it held up no problem.

I hope this helps icon_smile.gif

WykdGud Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:22am
post #10 of 11

I make a filling that tastes a lot like strawberry shortcake. It's a mixture of strawberry filling, whipped cream and pastry cream - it's very yummy and firm enough that it doesn't seep into the cake.

bubblez Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:35am
post #11 of 11

Thanks again. I will do the butter cream. Will post pics and let you know how it turns out on Saturday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%