Fondant Decorations On Bc

Decorating By Kcqt443 Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 7:33pm by metria

Kcqt443 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kcqt443 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:40am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

Im making a halloween themed cake for this saturday, It's going to be 2 tiers, covered in orange Crusting buttercream, with fondant decorations.

I cut out skulls, pumpkins, and headstones.

What is the best way to attatch them to the cake? Will they just stick to the buttercream? If I do them half way up the tier, and they aren't touching the cakeboard, will they slide down?

4 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:43am
post #2 of 5

You can either stick them on before the bc crusts or if it has already crusted very very lightly mist the cake with water and then stick them on. If they are thin enough they should stick and stay in place no problem.

Kcqt443 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kcqt443 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:52am
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the help!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:42am
post #4 of 5

Instead of misting the cake and maybe overspraying, you can brush a little water on the back of the fondant cutout and stick it on. You can also use watered-down fondant glue or royal icing. With any of these things, they should stick just fine.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 5

I like to use piping gel brushed on to the back of the fondant. If I get water on my finger tips, sometimes it picks up the color of the fondant and then I accidentally transfer it somewhere I don't want. Piping gel helps reduce the carnage of my clumsiness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%