Can I Save This Cake?!

Decorating By HBcakes Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 12:27pm by all4cake

HBcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBcakes Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:39am
post #1 of 6

I made this cake for Saturday night, then find out due to lack of communication that the party is NEXT Saturday. The hands are 1/2 fondanth/gumpaste, real gummy worms, everything else BC. I took the skeleton off and put the cake in the freezer cause I don't know what else to do, there's no way I have time to redo the cake. The customer knows it's in the freezer and it may not 'make it'. Any tips for thawing this thing to try & save the decorations? Would it be best to just put it out at room temp with fans all around, or how would it handle just going from the freezer to the refridgerator? Any help at all is appreciated-thanks in advance!!!
LL

5 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:59am
post #2 of 6

Wow! That cake looks awesome! I love the whole concept! Too bad about the mix up! I *think* if you take it out and have fans on it to dry condensation that it will most likely be okay.

Did you make the skeleton? It's so realistic!

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:03am
post #3 of 6

I am sorry there was a miscommunication about the date of the cake, I have never had anything like this happen but I think it should be o.k, the only thing I worry about is the hands. Hope everything works out for you, you did a good job. princess.gif

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:03pm
post #4 of 6

Oh - what a shame! That's an awesome cake and so much time went into it. I hope it was the customers stuff up and not yours and you are getting paid regardless!

I think I read on another thread just recently someone put a zebra stripe cake in the freezer and the black bled into the white. I will try and find the thread!

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:06pm
post #5 of 6

Here it is

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654198.html

Dont know what to do now it's already in the freezer. icon_confused.gif Good luck - I hope you can salvage it!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:27pm
post #6 of 6

That is an awesome cake! I think the fans or the fridge would work fine. The only thing I would be concerned about would be the hands.

I will say that I had frozen fondant covered cakes, uncovered, in the deep freezer. Then, stuck them in a corrugated(for traveling purposes) box...traveled for several hours. Upon arrival, placed them in the refrigerator overnight. There was no condensation, no sliding,cracking fondant....

with the fans, moisture did appear but the fans made sure it didn't stay around too long though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%