Tips For Doing Damask Stencil?

Decorating By Tellis12 Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 5:29pm by HarleyDee

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:39am
post #1 of 8

So, I just ordered my first stencils. They are so freakin' expensive! Can someone explain that to me? Ridiculous. But i was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on putting them on the cake. Things to do and things not to do would be helpful. Thanks!

7 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:05am
post #3 of 8

I recently used these and made the mistake of using RI that was too thin so it started dripping after I lifted the stencil. So make sure your RI is good consistency. Also if you go to the website of Designer Stencils they have a couple of videos showing you how to do it.

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 8

If your cake is covered in fondant you are able to use medical adhesive take (the kind you use on bandages so it comes right off the fondant) and tape the ends of the stencils to hold it down. You really need to keep the stencil tight against the cake to stop anyicing or spray from getting under the stencil. Try to go over your stencil just once with the icing. If you go back and forth you have more chance of smearing the design. Good Luck. Try it out on paper first using your icing to get the feel of it. I did a 5 tier wedding cake recently and loved the look.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 8

i've bought regular stensil's from the craft stores, some they sell seperatly, like just a flower,

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the tips. I tried the craft stores around here but they didn't have any damask stencils except great big ones.

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 8

I too bought the damask stencils and found it almost impossible to keep the stencil in place while smearing the royal icing. I tried to use surgical tape but it wouldn't stick properly. I then opted to make sparate panels with the stencilled design and created a panelled box cake instead. This was much easier as you just did all the stencilling horizonally.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 8

I've never used them, but I've seen people stick a straight pin at each corner to help hold it (only works with fondant cakes). Then you can gently smooth away the hole or fill it in with RI after you remove the stencile. Of course I don't know how well that would work for thicker stencils.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%