Isomalt

Sugar Work By Lorabell Updated 26 Aug 2014 , 1:19am by molly_36

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:31am
post #1 of 34

Has anyone done any work with isomalt to look like stained glass etc.? Kinda curious about this medium.

Thanks,
Lori

33 replies
Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:45am
post #2 of 34

O, what a great idea. I'd love to know the answer too!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:01am
post #3 of 34

I have done it. What specifically do you need to know?

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:01am
post #4 of 34

I've worked with it to make sugar beer bottles when the air is really humid. Works great and you can sub it for sugar in a recipe. Dries hard and can be colored like sugar.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 34

I would think to color it you would add color to it just like hard candy-I think you use oil colors that you can purchase online by Americolor.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 34

i haven't worked with poured sugar, but I've down blown and pulled sugar and I have used powdered coloring and luster and petal dusts to color my sugar after it was cooked.

cakecookie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookie6 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 34

I have wrinkled foil, then smoothed the foil and greased the foil with peanut oil, then layed a church window stencil on the foil. (I made the stencil from a sheet of silicone) Then poured hot colored isomalt into the stencil. It makes a very realistic-looking church window. Directions are in "Cooked Sugar Art" book.

celiamoya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celiamoya Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 34

Does any body know the recipe for ice cubes using isomalt? I would like to know the proportions.

Thanks, Celia

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by celiamoya

Does any body know the recipe for ice cubes using isomalt? I would like to know the proportions.

Thanks, Celia

You just melt straight isomalt.

celiamoya Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:41pm
post #10 of 34

Thank you Tiggy 2 I just wanted to know if you have to use the same proportions that you use when working with sugar" 1/2 cup of sugar 1/2 cup of corn syrup.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 9:34pm
post #11 of 34

celiamoya, have you made your poured sugar ice cubes yet?

I'm planning to work with some poured sugar soon so I hope yours turned out. Any tips?

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 9:59pm
post #12 of 34

I saw cake boss make a diamond ring the other night with isomalt it looked perfect. I would love to try the recipe too.

celiamoya Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 10:19pm
post #13 of 34

Hi leannewinslow,

I did the beer bottles with sugar candy. I made the mold with silicon and then made them with sugar candy. They came up amazing. I used 1/2 cup of regular sugar and 1/2 cup of light corn syrup (equal amount of the ingredients). I cooked in the microwave for about 8 minutes 2 to 3 minutes at the time. With the same recipe you can make the ice cubes, the only problem is that using regular sugar they come up yellow. I hope it helps!

Celia

tiggy2 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 10:30pm
post #14 of 34

No corn syrup needed with isomalt.

gibfalc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibfalc Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:41pm
post #15 of 34

Ok I've got tons of experience with isomalt. You need to add 10 percent water and cook the isomalt to 340 degrees. for best result let it cool to 285 before pouring it out. You should add water soluble colors after the mixture reaches 275. Unlike cookinf sugar you don't need to take much care while cooking becuase the isomalt will not crystallize. Just stir it in the beging of the process untill all the isomalt is melted and then just let it cook. If you need any more help let me know.
Paul

tiggy2 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:21pm
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibfalc

Ok I've got tons of experience with isomalt. You need to add 10 percent water and cook the isomalt to 340 degrees. for best result let it cool to 285 before pouring it out. You should add water soluble colors after the mixture reaches 275. Unlike cookinf sugar you don't need to take much care while cooking becuase the isomalt will not crystallize. Just stir it in the beging of the process untill all the isomalt is melted and then just let it cook. If you need any more help let me know.
Paul

Will the isomalt stay clear if cooked to 340 degrees or will it turn yellow?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:38pm
post #17 of 34

OT (kinda) what temp is best for blown bubbles? to cook it to and what stage to blow them?

gibfalc Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:38pm
post #18 of 34

The isomalt will not technically caramelize. It will be crystal clear especially if poured out onto vinyl sheets. The isomalt will eventual color but well over 400 degree . I forget the actual temp at the moment . Here is a link to the vinyl I'm talking about

http://www.pastryprofilesstore.com/category_s/31.htm
Paul

gibfalc Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 7:36pm
post #19 of 34

For bubbles again its 10 percent water added and then cook to about 315.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 3:01pm
post #20 of 34

So just what is the recipe for isomalt? Do you follow derections when you buy the stuff? Thanks

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 4:34pm
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

So just what is the recipe for isomalt? Do you follow derections when you buy the stuff? Thanks

I bought a bag and no instructions so I will have to research for that as well...
not sure why????? icon_redface.gif May have to look up the company on line..
found a link http://www.globalsugarart.com/?id=21

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:46am
post #22 of 34

My bag of Isomalt says (pretty generically, actually) just to heat it on high until there are no crystals left, remove from heat and let set a minute until all the bubbles are gone, then to pour onto silpat or whatever. Specifically says not to add anything to it.

In addition, I have one more question.

I'm going to be using Isomalt to make the windows on a gingerbread house I'm building. I plan to lay the pieces on a Silpat and pour the melted Isomalt into the window holes and let it set. My question is, how long does it set until I can lift and move the pieces? Until it's cool to touch or hard are a rock or what? TIA icon_smile.gif

gibfalc Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:36am
post #23 of 34

Trust me on this I teach Sugar work at Culinary School and have lots of experience using isomalt in competitions and for showpieces. You need to add ten percent water and cook the isomalt to 340 degrees. Dip the pan in cold water for a few seconds to slow the cooking preocess. let it cool to about 268 and then pour.It should set up fairly quickly depending on the height you pour it. It will set like a lollipop and be hard like that when it is cooled.

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:45am
post #24 of 34

I all ready did it with no water or anything. It's all good. Thanks for your offer of help though icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:48am
post #25 of 34

I added the water. Made bubbles/globes/spheres/balls/whateveryouwannacallem. All of them were disintegrated by morning...puddles of goo.

Any tips on using it for blown spheres? What would cause that to happen? I've not experienced that effect with sugar sugar even in humid weather.

mamanancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamanancy Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 6:33am
post #26 of 34

I tried making "jewels" with jolly ranchers for princess crown cookies. When setting them in the frosting, they got gooey and ruined the cookies. I bought some isomalt and am going to try it soon. Can anyone tell me if the isomalt jewels will also "melt" in the humid frosting? I also live in Florida, so the humidity is definately a concern.
Thanks.

Tasmin anne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tasmin anne Posted 17 Jul 2014 , 6:01pm
post #27 of 34

AI cant find any brown isomalt and I wanted to make brown beer bottles could I use clear isomalt and paint it with luster dust or food colouring or something ?

KellyKSD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyKSD Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 5:54am
post #28 of 34

Tasmin -

I used isomalt to make jewels for a cake and just added regular Americolor Soft Gel Paste coloring after it got up to the right temp. Just make sure you drop the color in and let it "sizzle" a few seconds before stirring it in to evaporate any extra liquid in the food coloring. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 10:12pm
post #29 of 34

I just add the food coloring in at the beginning before I start cooking it. I also add it afterward if need be, I usually make a bunch of clear isomalt up at once then just color it as needed.

random user Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
random user Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 4:29pm
post #30 of 34

I want to make shards of blue "ice" for a frozen cake like in the photo below. I do not have silpat. Can I just pour onto parchment paper? Will it level out smoothly on its own?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%