Christmas Cake Cupcakes?

Baking By JFcakes Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 2:16pm by delisa01

JFcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JFcakes Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:13am
post #1 of 9

Hi all, I'm new to he forums and this is my first post icon_biggrin.gif

I have an idea that I want to put into action, and was hoping for a little advice.

Firstly my idea:

I'm going to be making approximately 30 square cupcakes that are about 5cm square, and they will be fruit cakes (like miniature Christmas fruit cakes). They will all be decorated individually, and then placed on a cupcake tiered stand. It's going to be a little Christmas gift for my husbands work colleagues.

Now, what is the best way to bake the cakes first of all? Would it be better to buy the 5cm squared tins, or should I make 1 30cm squared fruit cake and cut it appropriately? Some of the 5cm tins I've seen are in excess of £100 for 36 icon_surprised.gif so I'm wondering if the 30cm option will work for obvious reasons.

Also where can I get paper cases that are shallow and square?

I'll try and make this into a little Christmas cupcake diary if I can, with pictures (I'm also a photographer icon_smile.gif) and ... well a diary icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Thanks in advance for any replies! xx

8 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:21am
post #2 of 9

Welcome to cc, feel free to jump right in, lots of nice and caring people here and soooooooo much talent and you will get all the help you want.
Feel free to pm me anytime and if I can't help you I will find someone who can.

I made square cupcakes using a square cupcake pan but I used round cupcake liners. Mine came out square, just push them in and pour in your batter.
You could also make a sheet cake and cut to size. Then you could maybe use brownie liners. HTH
This is the photo of my cupcakes
LL

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:00am
post #3 of 9

if you already have the bigger tin, id just do it that way. unless you have the money, and think youd use the individual ones enough to make it worth it?

no advice on the paper cases, but id think that the round ones, i big enough on the bottom, would do the job. but probably there are square ones on the net somewhere!
xx

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:12am
post #4 of 9

I bought the Silverwood Mini Square pan that makes 16 mini cakes at one time - or there is the 32 mini pan.

The reason i use this to make mini fruit cakes is that way i am not cutting through any fruit, plus i know all my cakes will be the exact same size - which for presentation is better - especially if you are selling.

If you are going to be cutting through a large fruit cake - make sure you cut your fruit and nuts very small to start with otherwise you will find it difficult to get sraight sides.

Yes, the pans are expensice - but well worth it.
They cost more due to shipping and handling - but again well worth it.

In my photo gallery there is a photo of mini square Green and White decorated Fruit cakes (for a wedding).
They were made using the Silverwood mini square pan.

Hope this helps.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:15am
post #5 of 9

I would suggest, instead of using paper cases, As i have made mini xmas cakes too, im not sure were your from, im from the UK, i baked mine seperatly in small round tins which helped, But i wrapped the sides of mine with a decorative wrap that kept the cake from drying out but still looked very pretty. You can do the same with squares, i suggest this because ive never seen square cupcake liners before . And also, if you want to do square, i would make one larger cake, and then cut out the indivdual portions, in the long run its going to save you alot of extra work than doing several mini ones (Trust me, ive done this, and its a pain in the behind lol )

JFcakes Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:51am
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the replies people icon_smile.gif

Tatorchip~ Thanks for taking the time to upload a pic of your sweet little cakes firstly! The tip for brownie liners, I'll have to look that up but it sounds great.

Brincess_b ~ Thanks also icon_smile.gif I imagine they are out there somewhere online, I'll have to make a concerted effort at some point to find some I guess icon_lol.gif

Bluehue~ It was the Silverwood ones I was looking at I think. They the ones that all fit onto one baking sheet?

I'm not too worried about cutting through the fruit as I will be dressing each cake like a normal full sized Christmas cake. SO they wont actually see the fruit until they bite into it.

I will probably get some of the Silverwood tins at some stage, but at the moment the purse strings will snap if I buy any more stuff icon_lol.gif

Cath ~ Long shot I know, but you wouldn't happen to be seeing someone called Chris would you? icon_lol.gif I'm in the UK too. I think I'll be going for the large cake cut down, it seems the best option for me at the moment.

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:06pm
post #7 of 9

I found these square liners, http://www.cupcakeswirl.com/item_112/Brown-or-WhiteGold-Square-Cups.htm
perhaps they would work?? I just googled square cupcake liner and got lots of options!
Best of luck!
Tracy

JFcakes Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:21pm
post #8 of 9

Ah ha! Thank you very much icon_smile.gif I think I was going wrong by calling them cases and not liners icon_lol.gif

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:16pm
post #9 of 9

Welcome to CC

I have not advice for you, I've only made fruit cake twice but I look forward to seeing your pics and diary icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%