Compensation To Caterers

Business By chicago1 Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 4:03am by HarleyDee

chicago1 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:55am
post #1 of 4

I'm not sure if this ? has been put out but here we go. I am just completing my business licensing process and have already spoken with a few caterers who are willing to pass my name along to customers they can't provide service to (cakes). How would you compensate the caterer? Would you give them a small % of the total? I will be working out of a commercial kitchen so I have to be careful of my costs. Any suggestions?
Also my husband spoke with a caterer who has a contract with a local university who is willing to purchase small items, ie., cakes, cupcakes when needed. Would you reduce the cost from your normal price? - sorry for the long msg

3 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:11am
post #2 of 4

I wouldn't give them anything. I'm sure you will find clients on your own who will need caterers. That's how you pay them back, by recommending the caterers. Unless your telling me someone is about to order a HUGE mass of product, that they will be consuming, no, I wouldn't discount. If they are gonna resell them, they can resell them for whatever they want. If they are gonna order for their personal use, I don't know, $250 worth of product every week, like a standing order. You might want to give them a 5% discount.

indydebi Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:24am
post #3 of 4

Agree ... you don't pay them anything. Just return the favor and refer folks to them. Many brides/clients look upon a "paid" referral with skepticism. ("She's only referring me to THAT vendor because she gets a cut! not because they're any good!")

HarleyDee Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:03am
post #4 of 4

I wouldn't pay them anything either. I have become friends with a guy who owns a florist here, and he has recommended me a lot. But in turn, I also have lots of brides who call me before they have anything else booked, and I always refer them to him for flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%