Need Help With Purse Cake....please!!

Decorating By alene Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 7:52pm by FlourPots

alene Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:53am
post #1 of 5

I'm running out of time. I'm suppose to making a purse cake this weekend and I really have no idea where to start. I've seen the article here on CC but was wondering if anyone knew of a video that I could watch. I've looked on u-tube but haven't been able to pull up anything helpful. ANY hints would be greatly appreciated. TIA

4 replies
ttehan4 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:10am
post #2 of 5

Ive seen people sit the cakes on end and I dont really like the look of those type, so I use a 1/4 sheet cake. I cut it into quarters across the width of the pan. Each quarter I make just a little more narrow than the last. The first quarter is about 3 inches wide and the last is about 2 inches wide. I usually just eyeball it sorry I cant be more exact. Then I stack those quarters on top of each other with my icing in the middle. Oh, I usually torte the sheet cake before I cut into quarters and I stack (centering each layer on the last) and fill as I go up. Put the larger quarter on the bottom and gradually get smaller. I use two skewers all the way through the stack to make it more stable. I then freeze. After it is froze I carve the front and back just to even it out and give it an angled look. I also angle the sides. I cut a little curve in the top. I cover the front and back with one piece of fondant and the sides with its own piece. Then a separate piece for the flap. Decorate.

I hope this helps. Im not great with directions. There is a picture of a zebra purse cake in my photos.

alene Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks ttehan4 for taking the time to reply. I looked at your purse cake. It looks pretty awesome. I may have to try your way. Thanks again.

msulli10 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 5

I have also done a purse cake. I baked it in an 11x15 pan and the cut it into thirds and stacked it. I also dowled it so it wouldn't fall over. Then I just carved it. I was fortunate enough to have the actual purse in front of me the whole time. I traced over the real purse and then used it for a template when carving and when making all the fondant decorations. It was a fun cake to make.

FlourPots Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 5

I love this YouTube video:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%