Letters

Decorating By cakemeasIam Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 3:32pm by sadsmile

cakemeasIam Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 12

can anyone give me any tips on letters? my lettering and writing is weak and would prefer to use fondant/gumpaste letters. anyone have a few tips that they are willing to share? what templates work for you? appreciate your help!
thanks
SP

11 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 12

A lot of people use cutters for letters...they're a bit expensive but much easier than cutting then out one at a time with a paper template and an xacto knife.

cakemeasIam Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 12

thanks...i will look on line for some. my cake supply didn't have any. do you recommend gum paste letters or fondant...or chocolate?
icon_smile.gif

onlymadaresane Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 12

FMM Tappits are awesome!

Global Sugar Art carries them

cakemeasIam Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 12

thanks...i just ordered some...the directions are easy, right? just use them like cutters? i so appreciate it...icon_smile.gif

mom2abc Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 12

I think tonedna has some tutorials for the Tappits on youtube. I was watching some the other day but I haven't gotten any yet.

cakemeasIam Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 12

thanks for the info i watched them yesterday!
i am excited!!

susanscakecreations Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlymadaresane

FMM Tappits are awesome!

carries them

I TOTALLY agree! And yes, do watch edna's youtube video on them:

Win Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:10pm
post #9 of 12

All I can say is, "Thank goodness for Tappits!" I have the fancy letters and the tubby letters and I just love them! They give such a finished look to your work.

Peridot Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:19pm
post #10 of 12

I also use Tappits. They can be a bit tricky also and I have found the small ones a little difficult to get on the side of the cake even if I wait for them to dry a bit. But they are much better than me trying to write with BC on the side of the cake. UGLY!!!!

suz3 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:22pm
post #11 of 12

What brand are the tubby letters. Love tappit letters but I don't have those.

sadsmile Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:32pm
post #12 of 12

You can also roll out snakes of fondant or extrude ropes of fondant and form letters.

Print out your message or name in any font you want to copy. Lay a piece of clear acetate over, wipe the acetate with a very light coat of Crisco and then lay the fondant snakes over the letters. Let it harden and lift off carefully and place on your cake.

I love my tappits! But I wish I was better in butter cream and RI- back to practicing. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%