Keeping A Cake Fresh-Counter, Refrigerate, Or Freeze???

Decorating By lindseylu8 Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 12:20am by SandiOh

lindseylu8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseylu8 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 7

I am very new to cakes so forgive my newbie question icon_smile.gifThis website is a wealth of info!

I have class on Wednesdays but have to bake my cake on Sundays or Mondays. Then I am frosting on Tuesdays so they are ready for Wednesday. My question is what do I do w/ the cake after I bake, but before I frost to keep it it's freshest?

-wrap and leave on counter
-wrap and refrigerate
-wrap and freeze
-other???

Any advice is welcome and appreciated! TIA!

6 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 7

If you bake on Monday, I'd just wrap and leave on the counter. If you bake on Sunday, then I'd wrap and freeze. Take out of the freezer Tues morning before you go to work and when you get home it will be thawed and ready to ice.

lindseylu8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseylu8 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for the response!!!

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

If you bake on Monday, I'd just wrap and leave on the counter. If you bake on Sunday, then I'd wrap and freeze. Take out of the freezer Tues morning before you go to work and when you get home it will be thawed and ready to ice.

ditto....

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 7

can I butt in and ask a question here too....when you take it out of the freezer, do you thaw it on the counter or the fridge? and do you keep it wrapped until completely thawed?

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:18am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

can I butt in and ask a question here too....when you take it out of the freezer, do you thaw it on the counter or the fridge? and do you keep it wrapped until completely thawed?

I thaw mine on the counter, and keep it wrapped until thawed. Doesn't take long. It's actually much easier to stack the larger layers while they are still cold too.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:20am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdrsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

I thaw mine on the counter, and keep it wrapped until thawed. Doesn't take long. It's actually much easier to stack the larger layers while they are still cold too.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%