Everything About Bridal Shows?

Business By tootie0809 Updated 12 Dec 2009 , 5:23pm by costumeczar

tootie0809 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 14

I'm considering doing a bridal show for the very first time. There are a couple coming up in January that I'm thinking of doing. Wow, is it expensive! But, I really need to get my name out there and I just am not getting the kind of business flow that I need to start making my new business actually grow. So, I'm totally overwhelmed with what to expect and how to go about having a succesful booth at one of these.

Admittedly, I've never been to one as a vendor OR as a visitor, so I'm completely at a loss to know what to even expect. Can any of you wonderful bridal show experts give me some advice or guidance on how best to set up a successful booth, what types of cakes to display, literature to have to hand to brides, sample types (sizes, flavors, packaging, etc.), table display decorations, how many people to man the booth (just me or bring someone to help me?).

Sorry for so many questions, but I need to decide if I am going to participate by the deadline of the end of this month and I don't want to commit to it if I think it's something I won't be able to do. Thanks for any help, and again sorry for so many questions! icon_smile.gif

13 replies
cylstrial Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 14
cylstrial Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 14

Ok - I found it! Here ya go! This one should be helpful!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6590102#6590102

tootie0809 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:04am
post #4 of 14

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You're awesome! icon_smile.gif

tootie0809 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 14

Would anyone care to share pics of your bridal show booths? Like I said before, I've never even been to a bridal show and don't know what booths look like, so if anyone has some pics of theirs, I'd love to see them to get a good idea of how I could decorate and set up my booth. Thanks!

tootie0809 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 14

Thank you Debi! These are very helpful! Love your cakes you displayed. My goodness, that 6-tier cake is impressive! icon_smile.gif

Solecito Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 14

This one has pictures and a lot of very good tips from a lot of the members:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-580310-.html

tootie0809 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecito

This one has pictures and a lot of very good tips from a lot of the members:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-580310-.html

Thank you so much for the link! That is an extremely helpful thread!

tootie0809 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:23pm
post #10 of 14

Okay, more questions!

I've been trying to find all the different bridal shows in my area in the upcoming months. In January, there are 4 major shows at different venues. I can't afford to be at each one of them. These booth prices range from $725-$985 each, so I can do 1 maybe 2 of them. I've been trying to find out which ones are the most attended or which would be the most beneficial for me to have a booth at so I could get the most bang for my buck, but I can't find any information. The shows obviously say on their websites that they are the most sought after bridal fairs or most attended fairs, but I'm sure that's because they want my booth rent! LOL! Any advice on how to choose which shows to participate in? I'm lost and bewildered!

Thanks again for all the helpful information you've all shared!!

indydebi Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:03pm
post #11 of 14

talk to other wedding vendors. I was talking to a fellow wedding photographer, who surprised me by informing me that the BIG show in town ($2000 booth) had lower attendance than a smaller show ($800 booth). Those who have been at the shows have the poop, the whole poop and nothing BUT the poop! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:50pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

talk to other wedding vendors. I was talking to a fellow wedding photographer, who surprised me by informing me that the BIG show in town ($2000 booth) had lower attendance than a smaller show ($800 booth). Those who have been at the shows have the poop, the whole poop and nothing BUT the poop! thumbs_up.gif

LOL! You always crack me up! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

SliceCakeStudio Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 1:13pm
post #13 of 14

Tootie, I'm not sure what city/state you are in, but here's what I found. In Colorado, one particular event company does I think 6-8 shows throughout the state. They charge close to the same for Denver versus other areas, and Denver draws the same number of brides - but they generally have higher budgets. I cannot tell you how pleased I was to find that they give discounts to cake/catering vendors since they have to bring food! My booth in January is $325, and I consider Denver to be a pretty good market for that cost. Maybe ask if you can get a discount since you need to bake samples!

costumeczar Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:23pm
post #14 of 14

Sometimes the smaller shows are better, too. You pay less, there are fewer vendors because everyone's rushed off to do "the big show", so there's probably less competition in the cake category. You can actually talk to the brides who come through since it's not a huge cattle call, and the return on investment in terms of booking will be better as a result.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%