Newbie: Baking/decorating Timeline Ok?

Decorating By jcakes33 Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 8:38pm by jcakes33

jcakes33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcakes33 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 3

Hello! I am a brand new member and absolutely love this website. I have been making cakes as a hobby and just fell in love with it. I will be visting family this weekend and planning on taking one of my cakes for a Saturday get together.

Here is my time line, please let me know if this is ok. And, on a side note I have been freezing my cakes only to have my buttercream have blow outs days after it has been iced. I really do not want this to happen again so I'm trying something different.

Wednesday: Bake cakes, cool and wrap in saran wrap and leave on counter.
Thursday: Fill w/ strawberry sleeve filling, crumb coat, ice and decorate.
Friday: Leave out-of-town w/ cake, but will not be eaten until Saturday.

Will my cake be ok if I leave it out of the refrigerator this entire time? I will be using a shelf stable buttercream as well. I appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks so much!

2 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 3

Sounds like what I would do, but I don't decorate until Friday. I think it gives the cake time to settle after it's been filled. I think thats why I've never had a buttercream blow out. I think some people say when you freeze, the moister from thawing may cause blow outs. And your cake should be fine sitting out. I use all natural ingredients and my cakes are good on the counter for 3 dyas.

jcakes33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcakes33 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 3

Ok, great. I was beginning to stress for awhile not knowing if they would still retain their moisture. Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%