Antonia Icing Trouble!!!

Baking By amykingsafer Updated 24 Oct 2009 , 7:40pm by bbmom

amykingsafer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amykingsafer Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 7

I made a batch of Antonia's icing and ended up having to add like 2 cups of water and I still don't think I got the right consistency. When I flooded the cookies it never would level out. I used a tooth pick to spread it out but it still seemed too thick. What went wrong? Doesn't that seem like alot of water?

6 replies
luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 7

I make the batch exactly as it's written on the recipe and get a very thick consistency. I then put it into a large container. When i'm ready to mix colors, i spoon some of the icing into another container, color it, and then add water a little at a time to acheive the right consistency.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 7

Wow, that is a lot of water. I don't even add as much as the recipe calls for (for regular piping; I don't flood).

How much powdered sugar did you add? I use a 2 lb bag.

Even if it seems thick, I don't add water to thin until I've colored as that adds liquid and if you thin before you add color, well it might be too thin and then you have to play the fun game of adding powdered sugar, adding water, etc., etc., to find the right consistency : )

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 7

you know I made some and (I have always used her recipe faithfully and loved it) it whipped up almost like a meringue it was fluffy and beautifully shiny and tasty...but it was super thick and aerated. I've never had that happen before and I used the same mixer, the same time, everything. I can't figure out why it was so different. I had to add a ton of water, and it NEVER set up either. I made baby feet for some cookies and I let them sit overnight and they were like I JUST did them, so I wound up just mixing straight egg whites with powdered sugar and repiped all of the feet (96 feet to be exact UGH) and within 5 min. they were crusting over nicely and ended up working.

But i can't figure out what happened?? i wonder if the powdered sugar or meringue powders have been altered?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

I make the batch exactly as it's written on the recipe and get a very thick consistency. I then put it into a large container. When i'm ready to mix colors, i spoon some of the icing into another container, color it, and then add water a little at a time to acheive the right consistency.

Same here!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 7

I also do this...the only thing is I forgot to add any flavoring last time so it tasted like sweet chalk.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 7

I always make antonias as written. You do need to mix it on low speed and it does come out quite thick. I've never thinned the whole batch so that does sound like alot of water. I just take the amount I think I will need, put in a small bowl and add water a few drops at a time until if you swirl your spoon through it the tracks disappear by the count of 10. Its always perfect. Its 2 and 1/4 lbs not just a 2lb bag of powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%