Filling Suggestion?

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 12:07am by cabecakes

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a cake for a 90th birthday party this weekend. The cake is a citrus flavored cake and I am unsure what to fill it with. It has to be something that can go un-refrigerated as I have to drive it three hours on Friday. Not to mention that it is a three tier cake and it won't fit in my fridge! I am pretty sure I will just fill it with buttercream but am not sure what flavor. TIA

10 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 11

What kind of citrus flavor is it?

have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 11

you can use a complimentary flavor of fruit preserve or jelly. You can also mix the preserve with buttercream for a creamy fruit filling.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 11

I have a lemon filling recipe that doesn't need refrigerated.... ?

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 11

What citrus flavor is it??

Lemon goes well with raspberry filling or cream cheese filling.

Orange would go well with cream cheese filling.

You can use the shelf stable fillings so no need to refrigerate. For the cream cheese, you can mix the cream cheese filling in with your buttercream until you get a consistency and flavor you want, will need to add some more powdered sugar to it.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 11

Its a mix of lemon and orange. I'm also worried about oozing filling since its a three tier cake and is going to be heavy. How do you keep something soft like cream cheese from bulging out of your layers?
Jopalis: I would love your non-refrigerated lemon filling recipe!

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

Its a mix of lemon and orange. I'm also worried about oozing filling since its a three tier cake and is going to be heavy. How do you keep something soft like cream cheese from bulging out of your layers?
Jopalis: I would love your non-refrigerated lemon filling recipe!

Add the cream cheese filling to your buttercream, you can stiffen it up with some powdered sugar to get to your desired consistecy.

As long as you use a good stiff buttercream dam, your fillling won't ooze out.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 11

Also, the inner supports (dowels/sps) are what hold up the upper tiers of cake, not the cake itself.

I would use wedding or creme bouquet or princess emulsion or lemon buttercream.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 11

You could always add lemon and orange extract to your buttercream recipe and frost.

Or you could add the lemon and orange extract to the buttercream for just the inner layers and buttercream with the regular buttecream the outside.

Paul

confectionsofahousewife Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:00am
post #10 of 11

Thanks guys! These are all great suggestions. Now I just have to choose!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:07am
post #11 of 11

I love your screen name, that's cute. If you make a stiff buttercream and apply it around the outside edge of the cake in about 1/2" the "dam" will keep your fillings from oozing out. Also, as long as you have a good support system it should be ok.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%