Awesome Cakewrecks Entry Today

Decorating By costumeczar Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 2:05pm by luddroth

costumeczar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 27

My favorite topic on cakewrecks is the "what they ordered, what they got" wedding cakes. Today's is very nice... http://bit.ly/3iSLGE I especially like the last one with the seashells.

26 replies
LadyG33 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 27

I love those threads what they ordered and what they got too funny

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 27

Those are my favorite kind too...but I have to say, the blue floral and the rose petals ones weren't that bad.

SugarFrosted Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 27

Aww, so sad...I feel bad for those brides. icon_sad.gif
And so ashamed for those decorators. icon_confused.gif

Where's that :can't fix stupid: emoticon when we need it? icon_biggrin.gif

keriskreations Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 27

Okay, I'm not claiming to be any kind of expert here- but the last one, WOW, really? Everything looks like one layer..... isn't it common knowledge that cakes are usually two layers, sometimes more? My mom wasn't a decorator, but all the cakes she made for me growing up were two cakes put together with some deliciousness in the middle. icon_smile.gif

FierceConfections Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Those are my favorite kind too...but I have to say, the blue floral and the rose petals ones weren't that bad.

I agree. It doesn't look like the cake the bride wanted, but it doesn't look bad. Now, that last cake? Bad! icon_lol.gif

keriskreations Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 27

Oh wow - I've just found a new addicition with this site! I'd never heard of it before. Wow - there's some beauties out there. I have a couple that could go on there too - one ended up in the trash where it belonged. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 27

I am not really seeing the awesome wreckiness of the square blue and white one either. It just looks like "I know the cake in the picture is what you want, but it serves 500,000 people, so for you, it needs to be three tiers, sweetheart"....

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 27

The baker needed to shorten the risers a bit, extend the flowers so they hung down, and they propbably would have been ok. Although...the flowers don't like much effort was put into them either.

BCo Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 27

Is there anywhere to subscribe to this???? I have been looking at the site over and over and when it used to be a blog I thought you could supscribe to it so you get an email when new stuff is added but now that they switched over to the new site I don't see anywhere to subscribe......

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:06pm
post #11 of 27

You don't really need to subscribe, there's a new post every single day.

luddroth Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:15pm
post #12 of 27

My every morning routine is to check Cake Wrecks first, then CC. Can't live without both of them!

BCo Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:20pm
post #13 of 27

yea- I figured I should just stick it in my favorites and check it everyday like I do all my other sites....guess I was being lazy icon_lol.gif

Anyone going to get the book? I wonder if it has any pics in there that aren't on the site?

jamalyn1 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:24pm
post #14 of 27

yes. CakeWrecks and CC are my first 2 sites in the morning. They are like my coffee since I don't drinl the stuff icon_biggrin.gif

BCo Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:34pm
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by keriskreations

Okay, I'm not claiming to be any kind of expert here- but the last one, WOW, really? Everything looks like one layer..... isn't it common knowledge that cakes are usually two layers, sometimes more? My mom wasn't a decorator, but all the cakes she made for me growing up were two cakes put together with some deliciousness in the middle. icon_smile.gif

And I wonder if the baker/decorator stood back when they were finished and said Dang - Am I good or what?!!?!!? LOL

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by keriskreations

And I wonder if the baker/decorator stood back when they were finished and said Dang - Am I good or what?!!?!!? LOL

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I gotz tha skillz...check me out! Sylvia Weinstock, I'm coming for you! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

bbmom Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:55pm
post #17 of 27

i usually love these this is what they asked for this is what they got, but the first 2 arent that bad its more a you get what you paid for kind of thing, like maybe they showed the martha stewart cake but only wanted to pay $150 or something. now the seashell one...that is a wreck.

jlynnw Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:02pm
post #18 of 27

I thought my cake was bad, if I were the bride for any of the others, I would be a monster Bridezilla.

costumeczar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:05pm
post #19 of 27

I think the blue one is awful, I can't see much good about it. Sorry to be the dissenter. Especially if you compare it to what the bride ordered.

The pink one is awful too, compared to what the picture of what she wanted. Wilting rose petals aren't that good on a cake, IMO.

These probably are examples of "I want this $1000 cake but I'm only paying $150 for it."

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:16pm
post #20 of 27

Oh czarina, it is bad, it wouldn't be acceptable leaving my shop, that's for damn sure. But it doesn't scream "WRECK" either, like most of the wedding wrecks usually do, in my opinion.

prterrell Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:19pm
post #21 of 27

I have the book. It's got some of the more famous wrecks in it, but is mostly new stuff. I'm going to the Atlanta booksigning on Nov. 9th. Can't wait!

JGMB Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:21pm
post #22 of 27

I did buy the book and I sat down the day I got it and read it cover to cover -- yes, read it! The pictures are funny, but the comments that Jen makes actually had me laughing so hard that my eyes watered.

I don't know if there are new photos or if they're all available on the website, but it's a good coffee table book. Two dinner guests have already picked it up, looked through it, and loved it as much as I do! Plus, it kept them occupied while I was putting final prep on the meal.

mim1106 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:41pm
post #23 of 27

I didn't know she added ATL to the tour!! Gonna try my hardest to be there.

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 10:00pm
post #24 of 27

Most of the ones they've shown before that were "what they wanted, what they got" were huge differences, like the famous plaid cake.

That blue one though, that looks like they needed a scaled down cake and didn't realize it wasn't going to be as elegant as the Martha cake. You can look at it and tell that someone really tried though. I think these posts would be funnier if they mentioned what the original cake would have cost and what the bride paid for her wreck icon_biggrin.gif

Now the pink one, I take it back, those are not rose petals. Those are shriveled up flowers of some kind. Maybe impatiens which are at least edible. But shriveled up flowers seem worse than rose petals to me.

KHalstead Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 10:17pm
post #25 of 27

I thought it looked like the cake decorator ripped rose petals into random awkward shapes and stuck them to the side of the pink cake.

the first cake with the blue petals though, I thought was really pretty.....if you'd never seen the original cake photo, it would never be considered a wreck!

costumeczar Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:25am
post #26 of 27

The blue one is bad, too! I keep going back and looking at it after reading everyone's comments tha it isn't bad, wondering if I'm being too critical, but the icing is bad, the flowers look like blobs, and it's crooked.

Nothing comes close to the seashell one though, and the all-time classic red and green plaid one!

I saw a cakewreck here, this summer. It had either been left outside and left to melt, then brought in when they realized it was melting, or it was just awful to begin with. It was so bad I made my daughter come in and look at it so that I had a witness to it's bad-ness. (I was delivering a cake to a place that had more than one reception going on at the same time, and this one was sitting on a table waiting for the other reception.) I didn't take a picture, but I should have. I would have felt bad to send it in, though. I enjoy looking at horrible cake pictures but I'd feel bad contributing pictures of someone else's cake!

luddroth Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:05pm
post #27 of 27

CC'ers are famously kind to would-be decorators, and you all prove it -- none of those cakes are close to the quality shown every day on this site. Still, I do wonder about the decorators' side of these stories. We've seen so many stories about the brides who want Martha Stewart cakes at Walmart prices...

And yes, Jen's commentary is the best part of Cake Wrecks -- she's a really talented humorist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%