To Fridge Or Not To Fridge...that Is The Question!!!

Decorating By kcassano Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 11:47pm by cabecakes

kcassano Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 11

I have searched and searched, and all I have come up with is confusion! icon_smile.gif

I am wondering if anyone refridgerates their cakes when they are covered in (setting) ganache and then fondant?. I understand NOT to refrigerate the ganach while it sets up overnight and/or while it sets up on the cake (prior to applying fondant) due to possible condensation.

So the question arises...can one put the ganache covered and fondant decorated cake in the fridge!? And if so...shoudl it be covered with plastic wrap?

There are many cake/filling combos I would like to offer, but have not done so b/c I am unsure about the whole to "fridge or not to fridge."!! HELP!!

thanks!

10 replies
Rylan Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 11

I do it all the time. I even let my ganache set in the fridge. Incase you want to refrigerate it, I wouldn't suggest you cover it in plastic wrap because once you get condensation, the moisture will be trapped in the plastic and then it will drip to your fondant and damage it. I always cover mines with plastic wrap though--only because I never had issues with condensation.

anzmommy Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 11

you should always refridegerate foods that are perishable. you need to refridegerate ganache. i have never crumb coated with ganache just butter cream but, i always refridgerate my cakes and would even if i did use ganache for the crumb coat

CBMom Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 11

If the filling is perishable, you HAVE to refrigerate.

Fondant covered, yes you can refrigerate...just make sure that you take it out of the fridge well ahead of delivery time.

The fondant may get "sticky" - just don't touch it until it comes to room temp and dries up.

You could put a fan on it, too, that might help.

Now, ganache covered, then fondant...I have no idea. I've nver done that combo...just the BC/fondant...but the cake had a strawberry cream fillling, so I refridgerated.

Sorry I can't be of more help!! icon_smile.gif

kcassano Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 11

thanks so much guys!!

yes, i understand perishible fillings should always be refrigerated, which is why i never used them yet and i was getting frustrated feeling somewhat limited. thanks for the info. maybe i'll do a small test cake to see how it reacts this weekend. the setting ganache is okay unrefrigerated for 2-3 days b/c the cream used in it is cooked (it's pretty much like a truffle).

Does the fondant harden when it's in the fridge if i dont cover it...i'd hate to deliver a rock hard cake!? what if i gently wrapped in wax paper, then plastic wrap? hmm...

Jeff_Arnett Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcassano

I have searched and searched, and all I have come up with is confusion! icon_smile.gif

I am wondering if anyone refridgerates their cakes when they are covered in (setting) ganache and then fondant?. I understand NOT to refrigerate the ganach while it sets up overnight and/or while it sets up on the cake (prior to applying fondant) due to possible condensation.

So the question arises...can one put the ganache covered and fondant decorated cake in the fridge!? And if so...shoudl it be covered with plastic wrap?

There are many cake/filling combos I would like to offer, but have not done so b/c I am unsure about the whole to "fridge or not to fridge."!! HELP!!

thanks!

I refrigerate all my cakes....buttercream, ganache and fondant as well. I guess it depends a lot on the brand of fondant you use, but I use Satin Ice and have no problems. If you go to www.rolledfondant.com there are a number of satin ice video demos. Ron Ben-Israel demonstrates covering a cake in satin ice...then at the end, he takes a damp cloth and rubs the whole thing down.....I've never tried that. The site says that Satin Ice is refrigerator and freezer safe.

Sweet_Guys Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 11

Just playing devil's advocate here: What about all of the big gurus in cake who say DON'T EVER REFRIGERATE?! I get so confused by the mixed signals I get.

Paul

momma28 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 11

I always refridgerate my cakes. Even the airbrushed ones. I just make sure that if they are airbrushed or handpainted that they are completely dry when I put them in the fridge (the airbrush food coloring I mean). Just no touching when they come out of the fridge. I take them out hours before delivery and just let any sweating dry.

CBMom Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:32pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Guys

Just playing devil's advocate here: What about all of the big gurus in cake who say DON'T EVER REFRIGERATE?! I get so confused by the mixed signals I get.

Paul

I got confused too icon_smile.gif

So I tried putting it in the fridge.

Didn't wrap it, *gasp*, just put 'er in there
Family cake, everyone, family cake icon_biggrin.gif

The BC/fondant covered cake did fine, but it was sticky after a while sitting on the counter. It did dry fine, eventually.

The fondant flowers didn't survive so great...they went all smooshy, wet and droopy. Just awful.

I don't store my fondant in the fridge, ever, at all.

So no guru here, just a CakeBakin'Mom trying to figure out what can work.

And that's what worked for me icon_smile.gif HTH someone else!

momma28 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:47pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Guys

Paul

I got confused too icon_smile.gif

So I tried putting it in the fridge.

Didn't wrap it, *gasp*, just put 'er in there
Family cake, everyone, family cake icon_biggrin.gif

The BC/fondant covered cake did fine, but it was sticky after a while sitting on the counter. It did dry fine, eventually.

The fondant flowers didn't survive so great...they went all smooshy, wet and droopy. Just awful.

I don't store my fondant in the fridge, ever, at all.

So no guru here, just a CakeBakin'Mom trying to figure out what can work.

And that's what worked for me icon_smile.gif HTH someone else!

Oh I agree completely NO FLOWERS IN FRIDGE. I also dont refridgerate red or black accents on white fondant. Sorry I neglected to mention that.

cabecakes Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:47pm
post #11 of 11

I do not like to refrigerate cakes unless I have to because of fillings for 2 reasons. 1) Unless you have a seperate refrigerator specifically for cakes you always run the risk of picking up some type of refrigerator odors. 2) If you have high heat and high humidity, that cake it going to sweat and run (I am speaking from experience- green buttercream- cake sweat green blood like a massacre occurred). I found that I CAN freeze/refrigerate, but it's always best if you can bring them back up to room temperature gradually, so they do not sweat profusely. I would recommend that if you are going to store your cake in the frig, place a box of baking soda in prior to the cake, and store the cake in a cardboard cake box rather then trying to wrap in plastic. I am by no means an expert, but I'm just sharing what has worked/hasn't worked for me in the past.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%