Making A Sketch Of Cake Before Starting.

Decorating By Creative_Cookies_Cakes Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 12:02am by Torile

Creative_Cookies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_Cookies_Cakes Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 26

I watch all of the cake shows on TV. And you see everyone doing skecths of the cakes they make. I was wondering does everyone on here do sketchs of the cakes they make? Does that help them make a better cake?
Thanks
Starla B.

25 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 26

I don't because I know in my head what I want it to look like. However, when finalizing with a bride I usually have Doug make me a sketch and I detail what each tier will look like for the bride (A - I hate surprises, and B - I can't draw for beans!) icon_biggrin.gif

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 26

It depends on what I am doing and if the ideas are already in my head, so no not everytime and I can't say it makes a better cake, it just helps to find ideas when I need some inspiration.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 26

I've never sketched a cake. Back when I first started, if someone had told me I had to sketch my cakes, I never would have gotten started in cake decorating at all. My sister is an artist; my first husband was an artist; I can't draw on paper at all. It's funny to tell people that "a blank cake is my canvas".

I dont' sketch, I don't write out instructions, I don't keep any kind of records of how to do something, like what size tip I used or anything. I just look at it and do it.

If suddenly it became "a law" that I had to sketch my cakes, you'd probably see all of my equipment on craigs list.

sarkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarkee Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 26

I do sometimes. The reason is because i can put together several different ideas and fine tune what actually looks good together. Especially if the customer has said to do whatever and leaves the design up to me.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 26

I usually do sketch a cake...except my 3D cakes. Those I'm usually copying something in real life so I'm using photos or items that I'm copying. I make a lot of sketches but mainly I have learned that if I can draw it then I can make it, and if I can't draw it then I can't make it. I'm not all that great of artist but I can sketch a little.

ncox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncox Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 26

I've only sketched a few of my cakes, but I feel those are the ones that have turned out the best in terms of decoration placement and color combo. Try it and see how it works for you!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 26

I only sketch if the customer has trouble envisioning the cake..........me I always envision it, no problem.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 26

I sketch if I'm talking someone into something icon_biggrin.gif

For example, my sister's best friend wanted a cake in the shape of a giant letter L, covered in white fondant with zebra stripes on it. I didn't want to do that so I drew her a picture of something else I could do. And she printed the picture out and has been showing it to everyone she knows.

When I do a sketch, I scan it on the computer and then I touch it up a bit with a picture editing program, and add a shadow.

About people saying they can't sketch, sometimes I'm shy about how I draw, but my 7 year old can draw beautiful 3D cakes...and I just tell myself that if a 7 year old can do it, then I should be able to.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:00pm
post #10 of 26

I sketch my cakes and am not very good with pencil! One customer even mentioned that it was obvious I didn't have an art degree! Can you believe that!?? I do it very quickly as a courtesy, but honestly these comments annoy me enough to stop. I guess they are super-happy when the cake is beautiful with such a "rough" sketch to go by! icon_smile.gif

LULABEL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LULABEL Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:18pm
post #11 of 26

I am a newbie and was wondering for those of us who cannot draw is there a program that will allow you to draw cakes etc.?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:21pm
post #12 of 26

I think even if I COULD draw/sketch, I wouldnt' do it. I start with a basic idea and create as I go. With as 'zilla as some people can get, I just dont' want to get into a situation where they point out "Your sketch had 6 flowers on the 2nd tier but I only counted 5! I should get a full refund!"

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:21pm
post #13 of 26

I started sketching mines after sadsmile taught me to plan ahead. From then on, I ended up with a plan so I can visualize what it would really look like.

Btw Judi, I love your sketch!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:22pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LULABEL

I am a newbie and was wondering for those of us who cannot draw is there a program that will allow you to draw cakes etc.?

There's a program called Wedding Cake Design Pro. It's not cheap though...if you're a hobby baker you probably wouldn't want to invest in it. There are some cake templates in the galleries here, you can always print out one in the shape that you need and then use markers to draw your design on it.

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
post #15 of 26

I was a designer at a furniture store several years ago, so I drew room layouts all the time for clients. So to me it just makes sense to layout a cake too - I draw it out to scale on graph paper so I know my proportions are correct. I haven't had anyone ask for one yet, and I'm not sure I would give it to a client anyway. They could just take my idea to their friend/aunt/MIL/neighbor who can 'do the same thing for less'.

I'm still pretty new to cake decorating though... maybe one day I'll let go of my security blanket! icon_rolleyes.gif

LULABEL Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:57pm
post #16 of 26

Thanks Texas_Rose icon_smile.gif

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:04pm
post #17 of 26

If I have a few ideas in my head I will sketch them out to see which I like better. And If I have a client that want something custom ( don't they all) it helps them to visualize what i am thinking.

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:04pm
post #18 of 26

hmm i only sketch a cake if someone ask's me to, but i can hardly draw ..it looks like a two year old drew it icon_smile.gif

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:30pm
post #19 of 26

I do sketches but just for me, not to show to anyone. It helps keep me organized and remember ideas I may have in advance and don't want to forget when the time comes to get started on the cake, or remind me of details that need to be made in advance.

For the person looking for a computer option, if you want a free way to just look at shapes or construction ideas you can use the shapes in Word to play around - like I'll attach this one that matches my avatar when I wanted to remember what the birthday girl asked for.

LULABEL Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm
post #20 of 26

Thanks superwawa I will try that too.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 10:39pm
post #21 of 26

I only sketch if I'm having a hard time envisioning it or if I'm not sure if different components will work together. But if I'm working from a picture, or I'm just changing 1 or 2 things, then I don't.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:01pm
post #22 of 26

We draw it more for posterity and so I can put to paper all the ideas swirling around in my head. We've only had one client ask for drawing and we did a rough sketch with notes of how it would look. Usually, I sketch more as my note-taking when I take an order over the phone. And lastly, the drawings tend to be more for Peter so HE knows where I am going...in case he can help when I'm working.

Paul

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:20pm
post #23 of 26

i'm even cheaper than micro word. i use the standard paint program to do all my sketches for me. i make a basic square or circle then go to town on it. colors, borders, etc its really easy. i have drawn my cakes out by hand before but i like the option of the "undo" better than having to use an eraser. thumbs_up.gif

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:30am
post #24 of 26

I sketch any cake I feel is important. The reason is sometimes I have an idea in my head but the reality sucks, lol!!! So instead I'll draw up 4-5 designs and pick my fave. One time I think I came up with 10 designs. Lol. Just me and my semi-OCD ways icon_smile.gif

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:16am
post #25 of 26

Well yet another check box on my OCD checklist, lol, I am just a hobby baker, but I always sketch, often time I will resketch the same cake over and over putting it together in my mind as I go different ways, layers, details, layout, colors... I enjoy it and it really helps me realize my final product. My notebook is the first thing I grab when I'm figuring out a cake. I almost always sketch by hand, but I sometimes use publisher to put one together, here's an example, buy I prefer pencil and paper thumbs_up.gif
LL
LL

Torile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torile Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:02am
post #26 of 26

I almost always make a sketch. For me, it's primarily so that I don't forget something that I wanted to include on the cake.
If I'm multitasking it's easy to get sidelined and forget to add a swag, or some piping. It's usually something simple but if I forget to add it I kick myself all day.
My sketches are very crude and quite often I outline my steps as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%