Help With This Halloween Cake Sketch, Please? :)

Decorating By emlashlee Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 2:43pm by scanners2003

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 30

I am making a 3-tier (10/8/6) Halloween cake and need some advice. It will be fondant-covered with fondant and RI accents (vines, gravestone writing). I'm pretty happy with the design of the bottom two tiers, but need some help with the top tier. I couldn't think of anything else I hadn't used so I put skulls and dancing skeletons on it. I don't want to do two white things. Do you have any ideas?

(PS - The topper idea is not well-drawn here, but came from a great cake by OutofCharacter, so you can check it out in her pics if you'd like to.)

TIA big time!! icon_smile.gif
LL

29 replies
Creative_Cookies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_Cookies_Cakes Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 30

What about spooky eye's. Could do different colors outlined in black with black eye lids.

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 30

Or you could do just the outline of slanted eyes (you know-like yellow eyes peering out of the darkness) along with the skeletons or skulls.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 30

what about leaving the cat off the middle tier and adding a sillhouette of a black cat with it's back up and hair raised? Would look pretty against the orange. Maybe add a little pumpkin instead of the cat on the middle tier?

scanners2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scanners2003 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 30

Maybe a Black Spider would go good there??? icon_smile.gif

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 30

How about some bats? You can accent them with a little purple to go against the orange background.

KHalstead Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 30

ooh, I like the idea of bats too!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 30

I like the direction you're going in with this. Here are some ideas for you to consider. In general:
--Do all the decorations in cookies, except maybe number 3 below.
--Got to have some green spooky eyes. Bats and witches are missing.
1 - Bottom tier - make the decorations smaller. I think they're too tall.
--Pipe black royal icing with a 1 or 2 tip to make the spider webs reach from the cake to the front of the tombstones.
--Spider on one of the webs.
--Open coffin with Dracula peeking out.
--Frankenstein digging for a new brain.
2 - Second tier from the bottom. Love that scrolling vine with the candy corn - really cool, but pipe pumpkin leaves instead of the ones in the drawing, for authenticity.
--Make the face on the pumpkin fierce instead of jolly. Or take the face away and add the hairy cat previously khalstead mentioned.
--Maybe use a round or hex instead of a square, either way, center the pumpkin.
--Make the pumpkin smaller - it's also too tall.
--Use real candy corn.
3 - Third from bottom - Get rid of the skulls and make the dancing skeletons look like paper dolls all the way around. I like the dancing skeleton as drawn.
4 - Change the top tier so the background of the house looks like the full moon.
--Put a silhouette in one of the tower windows.
--If you're not using the 3-D ball for the top tier, convert it to a flat half circle cookie and make the castle smaller.
--Kimsmom is right about the bats. Perhaps silhouettes of bats or a witch flying above the roof of the castle.
--Fence out of black licorice or piped with black royal icing to look like wrought iron.

I can't wait to see the end result. Take photos as you go, we'd love to see some of your step-by-step, too.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:09pm
post #9 of 30

I don't have anymore suggestions, but I just wanted to say that I love your design! I especially love the middle tier with the pumpkin vines and candy corn. Very cool!

emlashlee Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:23pm
post #10 of 30

Holy moley! Thank you SO much for your great ideas! I can't wait to get cracking on this cake. I love all the ideas...now I just have to decide which ones I can do with my fledgling modeling skills. This will be hard since before I didn't have any ideas, now just too many good ones to choose from. icon_smile.gif (((Big Hugs!)))

-emlashlee

Oh, and I think I will do the wrought iron with RI (thanks, Theresa), but I've never done anything standing up with it before. Do I just pipe it onto wax paper, let dry, then slide the hard lines off?

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:34pm
post #11 of 30

I vote for the spider idea! wth red eyes...

or a bat

or something with tentacles and some of them can hang over....

a scary witchy tree with some of the roots hanging over

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:41pm
post #12 of 30

My two cents - make Jack-O-Lantern for very top tier and replace the sketched pumpkin on the 2nd tier with bats...

playingwithsugar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:59pm
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by emlashlee

Holy moley! Thank you SO much for your great ideas! I can't wait to get cracking on this cake. I love all the ideas...now I just have to decide which ones I can do with my fledgling modeling skills. This will be hard since before I didn't have any ideas, now just too many good ones to choose from. icon_smile.gif (((Big Hugs!)))

-emlashlee

Oh, and I think I will do the wrought iron with RI (thanks, Theresa), but I've never done anything standing up with it before. Do I just pipe it onto wax paper, let dry, then slide the hard lines off?

Yes, you understand the technique. Personally, I do not use waxed paper, I use parchment or plastic film. I find it easier to remove the RI figure from them. You can stick the posts into mini marshmallows if you are hesitant about putting into direct contact with BC (which it will do, even with fondant over the cake).

You mention fledgling modeling skills. Not really knowing your skill level, I thought the cookies would be easy for anyone to do. We had a whole thread on cookie cakes a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, I am unable to bring the thread up due to technical difficulties. I hope someone else remembers it and can post it here, so you can see how they look. They're actually pretty cool.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

emlashlee Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:16pm
post #14 of 30

Thanks for the parchment tip, Theresa. I'll have to try that. I have to admit, I've never seen a cookie cake, so I was kind of steering away from that. I just couldn't picture what it would look like. I have the basic Halloween cutters in large and small, so I could either do it in cookie or fondant. I'll have to see if I can find a pic, because that sounds neat. As far as the modeling, I can do basic things, but I was trying to imagine doing a 3D Dracula coming out of the coffin and know it would look more like a blob - my facial features leave something to be desired. LOL! icon_smile.gif I'm still practicing them, but I'm not ready for a cake to leave me bearing gargoyle-like features. icon_smile.gif

To secure the fence, would piping a small blob of RI onto the cake, then setting the dry post into it work? Hmmm...then I would have to let that dry again before putting in the horizontal fence pieces I bet. What do you think?

emlashlee Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:28pm
post #15 of 30

I also wanted to send out a little thanks! to OutofCharacter who has been pm-ing me with tips and instructions for her topper. She was so kind and gracious.

AND - Theresa thanks for the multiple tips and advice. You went above and beyond. icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:33pm
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by emlashlee

Thanks for the parchment tip, Theresa. I'll have to try that. I have to admit, I've never seen a cookie cake, so I was kind of steering away from that. I just couldn't picture what it would look like. I have the basic Halloween cutters in large and small, so I could either do it in cookie or fondant. I'll have to see if I can find a pic, because that sounds neat. As far as the modeling, I can do basic things, but I was trying to imagine doing a 3D Dracula coming out of the coffin and know it would look more like a blob - my facial features leave something to be desired. LOL! icon_smile.gif I'm still practicing them, but I'm not ready for a cake to leave me bearing gargoyle-like features. icon_smile.gif

To secure the fence, would piping a small blob of RI onto the cake, then setting the dry post into it work? Hmmm...then I would have to let that dry again before putting in the horizontal fence pieces I bet. What do you think?

A 3-D vampire would be easy-peasy. There's a 3-D coffin cookie on the Wilton website.

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Something-for-that-Coffin-Cookies

--take the basic design and create a cardboard template.
--make the head. Round ball with a nose and two pointy ears. Paint hair and face on.
--Make body. Long round log. No detail needed.
--Make 1 arm to hold cape.
--Make 2 legs and feet to stick out at bottom of cape.

Assemble body -

--head to body.
--arm on side, bent over like he's covering his face with the cape (think Bela Lugosi).
--legs and feet to body.
--wrap cape from back, over arm, all the way across the front.
--lay in cookie coffin.

RI has a tendency to absorb grease, and therefore might soften. The Wilton instructors I learned from suggested sticking the pieces into mini-marshmallows, then pushing the marshmallows into the icing. If someone knows an easier method, I hope they see this and post it.

emlashlee Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:36am
post #17 of 30

I think I can, I think I can! Can you tell which book I read today? icon_smile.gif Thanks for the help. I'll post as I make things, then the completed cake. I'm so excited!

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:25am
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetcaking

I don't have anymore suggestions, but I just wanted to say that I love your design! I especially love the middle tier with the pumpkin vines and candy corn. Very cool!

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to type icon_smile.gif Can't wait to see your finished cake, you got some wonderful ideas here!

emlashlee Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:17pm
post #19 of 30

Now that the cakes are already crumb-coated and resting, I have time for my mind to wander and get panicky. icon_smile.gif I was planning on using RI for the details on the tombstones and piping of the stick tree, etc. However, now I'm nervous because I used MFF and it has butter in it. Will it cause the RI to melt off? Should I use BC? And, how early can I put the details on? Do I need to wait until right before delivery or is Friday night okay to do it for a Saturday night delivery? Thanks a bunch?

P.S. - The pieces are coming out great and I want to share a pic so bad! Now I can't find the charger cord for my camera and the battery is dead. Oh, the agony!

emlashlee Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:31am
post #20 of 30

Whoo Hoo! The cake was a great success, thanks to you all! You were so wonderful to help me out in my time of creative stinkiness. icon_smile.gif Here are the pics of the finished cake. I'm PMing all of you tonight and tomorrow to say thanks, but wanted to say it here, too. (Hugs!)
LL
LL
LL
LL

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:42am
post #21 of 30

That is an absolutely FANTASTIC cake! You should be very very proud.... thank you for sharing your process to this fabulous creation..... icon_surprised.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:56am
post #22 of 30

Wow, wow, wow! It turned out so great! I love seeing a cake go from a drawing to a finished piece of edible art. I still love the candy corn, and the witch is really cute! I also like how you executed the moon with the haunted house and the railing on the top of the cake.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:47am
post #23 of 30

You're putting that in the contest, right? Great cake!

KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:25pm
post #24 of 30

that cake is amazing!!!!!! I too LOVE the candy corn (my fav. candy, well in the fall...year round it's gotta be haribo gummies lol)

I love the witch, her face is perfect is the topper a cookie...it looks amazing as well......you could enter any piece of this cake into a contest and do very well....as a whole, it's gotta be a shoe in!!! Great work on this!!!

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:35pm
post #25 of 30

I just started reading this thread this morning. What a fabulous cake!!!! The colors are wonderful. I love the color contrast on the middle tier. This cake really inspires!!!

playingwithsugar Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:35pm
post #26 of 30

Oh, you took my advice on how to do the moon. I'm so honored! Thank you!!

The cake looks great!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

emlashlee Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:04pm
post #27 of 30

Oh, you guys are too nice! Thanks again.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:54am
post #28 of 30

I never thought I could like a Halloween cake, but I love this one! I love the colors (black, to purple, to orange, to yellow), the topper is gorgeous, the witch is so well done, all the different ideas are so cute!!

emlashlee Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:10pm
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

You're putting that in the contest, right? Great cake!

I can't enter it into the contest because I've posted it in this thread. It's gotten too much exposure to remain anonymous, but thanks anyway! I would take getting your guys' help to make it a great one for my portfolio over putting it in the contest any day. Much better for me in the long run. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

scanners2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scanners2003 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:43pm
post #30 of 30

The cake is great. It's going into my favorites. The colors look so good on each tier. I really love the Witch. icon_smile.gif You did a fantastic job. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%