Smoke In The Kitchen ... But No Fire

Decorating By indydebi Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 5:32pm by ShelleyMJ

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making cookies and turn around to see the whole back of my kitchen filled with smoke! Picking up my phone and dialing 911, I go to the back and try to find the source. As soon as I'm connected to the fire dept, I remember .......

The utility company came around yesterday and told us they would be doing a smoke test (whatever the heck THAT is!) and we may get smoke come up thru our drains .... which is exactly what was happening! Red-faced, I told the fire dept "Never mind! icon_redface.gif " and what I had just remembered. Poured water down the drain (it was a drain that isn't used so there was no water in the resevoir) to fill the resevoir and all is fine.

But it wasn't a fun feeling to see the smoke! Especially since I had that fire on the outside of the building when I first opened!

I threw on the exhaust fan on the hood over my stove/ovens and the smoke was cleared in less than 5 minutes. It was the first time i was glad I had that big expensive hood on hand! thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 8

Do we need to buy you one of those write-on wipe-off boards for your refrigerator so you can write reminders for stuff like this in big red letters where you can see it 500 times a day?

I'm so glad the lightbulb over your head finally came on, but gee, girlfriend, even you've gotta admit, that's funny!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 8

I could not imagine what I would have done! I'm glad it all worked out, but I'm sure I would of had a heart attack!! lol Hope your day goes better! icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 8

Usually when I see smoke and say "what the heck is that" I'm quickly reminded about the cookies/cake/melting jolly ranchers I have in the oven! At least you didn't burn 15 cakes or 8 dozen cookies or something LOL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Do we need to buy you one of those write-on wipe-off boards for your refrigerator so you can write reminders for stuff like this in big red letters where you can see it 500 times a day?

icon_lol.gif I think so! As I mentioned in that one other thread ... I write stuff down, I just keep losing my notepad! Geesh, I'm lucky I even read the handout they gave me!

I'm glad I was here. Can you imagine the cloud I may have walked into if I had come into the shop later in the day? icon_lol.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 8

I always lose my lists. When I bought my first full-keyboard cell phone, I made sure it had a notepad and calendar with alarms so I could keep track of everything I need to remember. Isn't it a bitch, though? Too young for senior-citizen discounts, too old to remember that I must buy cat food.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 8

Oh my oh my I sucked all the air out of Tennesee till I got it all read whhhhhhewwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhh.

(((giant hug)))

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:32pm
post #8 of 8

I was gasping for air. It was you, Kate! LOL Poor Lady! I'm glad all is well.

I promise, I'm not laughing at you.... I'm laughing with you!

I will wait for the report of the multiplying whiteboards in your shop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%