Topsy Turvy/pink Cake Box Cake

Decorating By alvarezmom Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 2:43pm by MikeRowesHunny

alvarezmom Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 15

I am doing a cake for my neice's 15th Birthday next month. My SIL picked out this cake from Pink Cake Box. SHe has her heart set on the 4 tiers. My neice will have around 70 ppl at the party. My SIL also wants left overs for family.

My SIL wants big pieces 2X2. What sizes would you go with? I need enough to have left overs and feed 70ppl. I was thinking of going with 12-10-8-6. Should I take into account the tiers will have a filling???

14 replies
HarleyDee Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 15

When making TT cakes, it really helps to either carve the base of the tiers, or to use pans that are 4" apart, like 12", 8", etc. Just because if you don't carve the bottom of the tiers down, it doesn't give you a very big "lip" around it, and makes it less stable.

Does any of that make sense? I'm only halfway through my coffee, lol icon_smile.gif

alvarezmom Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks for the suggestion. I found a pretty good looking tutorial at

There is also another lady Janell, who has a video up on utube. I was really trying to stay away from making various size cakes for one tier.

HarleyDee Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 15

Oh yeh, I wasn't saying that you had to. I just tried to make one once with a 12" and a 10" tier, and it didn't look as good because there was only a 2" difference in the tiers, and after carving away the "hole" out of the 12", the lip around the edge was very thin.

alvarezmom Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 15

I thought about the 2'' diffrence. Maybe I will just have to break down and do a practice run. See how difficult it will be.

jlynnw Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 15

I like to use a 3 or 4 inch difference in my TTs. Maybe a 6, 9, 12, 16 would work. That will be a lot of cake but would make the cake. The picture does not look like she carved the cakes from multiple sized layers as the sides at straight up, just the top is leaning. KWIM. A 2x2 serving is quite large especially the taller side of the cake, but the sizes stated above will give you that and more than 70.

stephaniescakenj Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 15

A two inch difference in tiers will be fine if you're tapering your sides because for example, your 10inch tier will be tapered to about 9" at the bottom and sitting on a 12 inch tier, thus giving you a 3" difference. Make sure you cake is really sturdy. Also consider your filling. Most people only do buttercream because anything else can take away from the stability. One final thing, you don't have to taper the sides. The last one I did, I didn't taper the sides and I thought it looked just fine, it's the blue and green one with yellow piping in my photos, the sizes are 8, 6 & 4inches. I have another one in there, that's pink purple and white I think. That's a 10, 8, 6 with tapered sides... Learned with that one that you need a really sturdy board, thick center dowels and to nail the dowel into the board! oh I used the hole method with each one. Good luck!

aundron Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 15

I attempted to do a pink cake box cake and I used 6", 9", and 12" cakes so I could have enough room on the edges. Also, I didn't make the bottoms tapered, because I like mine straight. HTH

alvarezmom Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 15

I wont be tappering the bottom. I like the straight look as well. I plan to put (what I think) are the heaviest cakes on the bottom. She wants vanilla and chocolate. So I am planning on putting two chocolate tiers on the bottom. With the vanilla one tier will be with vanilla mouse (probably 2nd to the top), and cool whip with strawberries (top).

Now this is the time where I wished I would have bought Sharon's DVD on the topsy turvy cakes. Maybe it's not to late. The party isnt until November 14. I could order it now and it will be here with a couple of days I guess. I cant remember how long my last order took.

I do plan on using thicker dowels. I'm not sure if I should go with plastic--I've bever worked with before, or if I should use wooden dowels--I have used them before. I know some say to use plastic and some say wooden. What do you guys think?

stephaniescakenj-I really like the cake you made for your daughter. I'm a bit worried though. When my soon to be 6 yr old see's the cake she might want one for her bday in December!!!

aundron-If I showed my little one the picture of the cake you did she would really want the cake and ALL the candy!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:58pm
post #10 of 15

You don't have to bake different sizes, I made a TT yesterday and did a 6in top tier, which I shaved down to approx 5in at the bottom, and an 8in that I shaved down to about 7in. It's just enough to give that proper TT look and still make it stable. I haven't uploaded the pic yet, but will post the link here when I do.

alvarezmom Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:03pm
post #11 of 15

MikeRowesHunny-Oh I love the Pearl Wedding Cake you have in your gallery! The pic doesnt look bad..or is that the one you got from the bride? Either way it looks good. I have my 1st wedding cake next month. I am so nervous! icon_smile.gif Yes please send me a pic so I can see it.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:26pm
post #12 of 15

Here ya go! I prefer topsy-turveys done in fondant, but this customer insisted on buttercream.

The pearl wedding pic is mine, the ones I got from the bride was one of those 'arty' ones taken at an angle and therefore not showing the entire cake icon_confused.gif !

alvarezmom Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:32pm
post #13 of 15

MikeRowesHunny-It came out great with out the fondant. My neice isnt big on fondant so I will be doing her cake in BC. I chill my cakes for at least 24hrs now before stacking them so I dont mess up the BC to much.

LOL My boss is named Mike Roh (pronounced row) and when I saw your screen name I couldnt help but laugh

Your cakes are amazing. I looked at your website!

jlynnw Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 15

mikeroweshunny - how do you get a frame on your pictures? That really makes them POP.

sorry, back to your regular scheduled thread. icon_redface.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:43pm
post #15 of 15
Originally Posted by jlynnw

mikeroweshunny - how do you get a frame on your pictures? That really makes them POP.

sorry, back to your regular scheduled thread. icon_redface.gif

I use

Quote by @%username% on %date%