Dry Ice Volcano

Decorating By Half-Caked Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 4:34am by nancyg

Half-Caked Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 16

I am making a Hawaii beach theme cake with a volcano on top and my plan was to make the volcano out of rice krispies and cover with fondant and in the center of the volcano I would put a cup that could hold dry ice so it would look like smoke coming out of it. Any suggestions on the best way to do this or will it not work? If anyone has used dry ice before, how long will the smoke last for?

Thanks

15 replies
KHalstead Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 16

it will definitely work........the bigger your chunk of dry ice is...the longer it will smoke. I'd say out of a chunk the size of a regular ice cube, you'l probably get several minutes of smoking easily. If you can get yourself a nice long/tall glass container (wal-mart has them), like a vase, then you could really fill it up with cubes and get a much longer "smoking" out of it. HTH

Oh and make sure you've got gloves and tongs for handling the dry ice, it'll give you a nasty burn!!!

Brenda0217 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 16

You could also you a little votive candle holder to put you dry ice in and drop it down in too, I have seen that being used to, hope that helps.

indydebi Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 16

FYI ... dry ice, when stored improperly, will evaporate to nothing in about 24-36 hours. I was so pi$$ed when I opened my box of dry ice and found an empty plastic bag! icon_redface.gif

KHalstead Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 16

yeah, it has to be kept REALLY cold!! colder than a normal freezer will keep it. Definitely plan on buying a MUCH bigger chunk than you intend to use or you will be disappointed!

xinue Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 16

I was jus wondering... if you put a few drops of food coloring into the water, will the smoke be colored???
has anyone tried???

pieceacake830 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 16

I did a dry ice volcano last Feb.... When the tongs touch the dry ice, it sizzles! really cool, but make sure to use gloves. My volcano was cake, and I used pvc pipeall the way to the base . I sealed the pvc pipe, becuase to activate the dry ice, you need to use a small amount of WARM water. cold water works, but not like the warm water! . I forget just how cold it is, but its something like 200-300 degrees BELOW zero, so even trying to put it in your freeer at home will NOT make it last any longer. You will need to get your dry ice shortly before you need it. Most ice companies around here (upstate ny) dont carry it, so I had to go to a welding company! They guy looked at me funny when I told him what I wanted it for! icon_confused.gif I have pictures if anyone is interested...

indydebi Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceacake830

so I had to go to a welding

Yep! That's where I got mine, too!

stsapph Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 16

I was under the impression that you have to use a metal object to hold the dry ice as it will crack glass and plastic because it gets so cold. Am I wrong on this?

Half-Caked Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:43pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks for info....I'm not as worried now.

pieceacake830 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:21pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsapph

I was under the impression that you have to use a metal object to hold the dry ice as it will crack glass and plastic because it gets so cold. Am I wrong on this?

I wouldn't use glass, but pvc worked great!

chilz822 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:22am
post #12 of 16

FYI, a lot of the Publix supermarkets are carrying it for Halloween!
$1.49/lb in my area!

pieceacake830 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:07am
post #13 of 16

Thats a good price, I think I paid 3 something a pound... icon_cry.gif

chilz822 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:23am
post #14 of 16

actually, I take that back, I bought it today for $1.29/lb!
Made a 'ghost ship cake' and used it for a spooky effect..

TuckerCaker Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:11am
post #15 of 16

Yes, you will need to add quite a bit of dry ice to make it last a long time. Another good tip from dry ice, is to buy the dry ice as close to the time you are using it. It sublimates very quickly and will reduce the amount of time you can use it. But, if you are making a volcano that you need smoke for a while, I would keep adding it to the volcano as it starts to dissipate.

nancyg Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:34am
post #16 of 16

Been using dry ice at Holidays for over 30 years....Do not put it in the freezer. It will do no good. Keep it in an insulated small lunch size cooler wrapped many times in newspaper. If you keep it well insulated it will keep 8 to 10 hours before you use it. Put more newspaper to fill up container around the wrapped dry ice. Leave no room for air. And do not touch it. It will burn you badly. Use gloves

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%