Cake Shrunk On Top When It Cooled, How Do I Fix?

Decorating By kjskid Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 1:45pm by MemphisMom9801

kjskid Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making 2-layer a chocolate mayonnaise cake. The tops of each cake shrunk when they cooled, resulting in a somewhat conical shape.

My plan had been to put mousse in for the filling, put the top layer on upside down, and cover with ganache. But now it looks like an hourglass. I really don't want to carve into straight sides, because I'm not too good at that. Can I use the mousse to fill in the extra space, then put ganache over that? Or can I whip up some of the ganache and fill in the space, and then pour the ganache on top? If I don't fix it, it will definitely be noticeable, and I think it will be hard to get the ganache to pour down the sides correctly since it is indented in the middle.

3 replies
kjskid Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 4

Anyone, please? I'd really like to finish this cake!

sweetcravings Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 4

Sorry you are having problems with your cake this morning.

I'm trying to visualize your problem and i think that you could proabably build up that central area with some whipped ganache and then chill it really good. Then pour your ganache overtop as planned. I would definitely not use mousse to fill in the area. I think that would just melt away once you poured the liquid ganache overtop of it.
HTH

MemphisMom9801 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 4

Can you just level the tops so they are completely flat? I think that would help the cakes fit better together and eliminate most of that gap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%