Baking Question....

Decorating By destini377 Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 5:01pm by auntginn

destini377 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destini377 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 6

This may sound silly but.... I have never baked a bundt cake before. I have a cake for saturday (a pumpkin) and will be baking tomorrow. Does a bundt cake get treated any different than baking a regular cake? (i.e. type of recipe, time baking, etc...) Then, what do you do with the big 'ol hole in the middle??

I was hoping to find a pumpkin recipe to use. My other question is this. I have only used BC icing. If I try a cream cheese frosting is it still ok to crumb coat thursday if I won't be serving until saturday (refrigerated, of course)? Does the cream cheese frosting do just as well with fondant?

Thanks for all your help!

usaribbon.gif

5 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 6

Hello Destini,
Lets see if I can remember all your questions, hehe. Baking a bundt cake is no different except maybe in the size of your cake pan. So if you double up on the recipe expect to double up on time, if that makes sense. In other words when you double up what would have taken 30 minutes to bake might take a bit longer. I usually lower the temp of my oven to ensure that it bakes evenly and all the way thru.

What to do with the hole in the middle. I filled mine with the cream cheese frosting. But because not only was it the pumpkin 3D cake it was also pumpkin flavor cake. So I thought it best to use that filling.

Yes, you can crumb coat ahead and it will be fine with your fondant. I have pics of my pumpkin cakes in my photos if you care to look

HTH Good Luck

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 6

When I make a bundt cake, I've never been asked to fill in the middle with cake, but if you absolutely need it have it filled in, you could make a few extra cupcakes with your batter, and cut as needed to fill the hole.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 6

here's a really good pumpkin spice cake recipe that I use:

1 spice cake mix
1 c. all purpose flour
1 c. white sugar
1-4oz. box of instant van. pudding mix
1/3 tsp. salt
1 c. canned pumpkin
8 oz. sour cream
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. water
4 lg. eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. cinnamon

add all dry ingredients together, whisk to incorporate, add wet ingredients and blend until smooth.

destini377 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destini377 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 6

THANK YOU!!! All of you! I just couldn't get it out of my head that I would bake like normal and the thing would flop and I would be extra crazy and stressed and drive my family berserk before our guests arrived (we're having a costume party).

I think I will go ahead and fill that cavern with cream cheese frosting. Seriously, what's not to love with that, YUM!

KHalstead- your recipe sounds delicious, I think I'll give it a shot!

Saw the post last week about gelatin decorations and just couldn't resist. So I've been fooling around with gelatin leaves of various colors and kinds the last few days. Thinking they may seem a little too delicate around a pumpkin but we'll see!

Thanks again!
Destini usaribbon.gif

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 6

Oh!! I missed that one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%