Working With Ri Question

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 1:46am by TexasSugar

cakesrock Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 7

When I took my Wilton classes almost a decade ago, they instructed us to boil everything (all our tips and couplers), use disposable bags and only use glass to store RI. The rationale is that any trace grease left on your tools or food/grease remnants in a plastic bowl will break down the RI? Is this accurrate? Is there some leeway? I haven't worked with RI in a long time and wanted to be sure before I started again.
Thanks for the advice in advance! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
cylstrial Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 7

I store RI in a tupperware container all the time. I never have any trouble with it. I think it's during the mixing process that any grease will cause it to break down. So if your KA bowl wasn't clean from the last time you made buttercream icing.

But I don't actually Wilton color flow. I use Antonia74's RI. It's my favorite!

cakesrock Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 7

so you don't boil your tips and couplers??

cabecakes Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:03am
post #4 of 7

I just wash all my stuff in really hot soapy water. I haven't had any trouble with the RI breaking down. I make sure to pay special attention to my KA mixer bowl and whisk though. I make certain that that thing sparkles like the top of the Chrysler building. LOL.

Lita829 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:12am
post #5 of 7

Before I start to make and work with royal icing, I first wash everything in Dawn dish detergent then I soak everything (including the bowls and attachments to the kitchenAid) in hot water with a little vinegar for about 3 minutes (any longer and your decorating tips will start to change color). This degreases everything and eliminates the possibility of the RI breaking down.

HTH

TheBlonde Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:24am
post #6 of 7

I have had issues with RI and tupperware... Just took a pictures with my phone to show you but it says the pic is too big and photobucket isn't working...I used my regular tupperware containers and it melted the RI a little. It can still be used but need to be mixed up well first. I went out a couple days ago and bought brand new tupperware only to be used for RI.

TexasSugar Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:46am
post #7 of 7

You want to make sure that you do not get any grease in the icing when making it. I don't have a dish washer so I wash everything by hand. When I am making royal I make sure that I wash with hot soapy water. I've never boiled or wiped anything down with vinager either. I also use the same tips and couplers I use for everything else.

Once royal icing is made you don't have to worry about the concearns of the grease. I have piped royal on fondant smeared with cirsco and the royal is still rock hard (dummy cake).

I've kept royal in plastic bowls but I do think that the glass usually work better. And I have no luck leaving royal in plastic bags over night. It changes texture. Any time you let royal icing sit it seperates and needs to be mixed again before using.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%