Making Sugar Shacks Buttercream Chocolate?

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 9:05pm by dstbni

sheilabelle Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 9

I have purchased Sharon's DVD's with her recipe attached and I love it! I have a need for chocolate buttercream and would like to convert her recipe. I have tried contacting her but have not had a reply yet. I would like to make the buttercream today. If anyone out there has a recipe for this that they are willing to share I would appreciate it.

8 replies
Callyssa Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 9

Hi! I see you're in MI; we just moved from Lansing area to the warm and sunny skies of Texas!

I can't remember exactly, but I THINK for Sharon's chocolate bc, you substitute around 3/4 c. baking cocoa for 3/4 c. of the powdered sugar....mix it with your sugar first before adding to your liquid mixture. I also sift the cocoa and sugar together because it's hard to fully incorporate baking cocoa; not sure if it's necessary but I don't like to take chances! It tastes great; the only problem I see is no matter what chocolate bc I've tried it always turns bubbly, especially after it sits for any amount of time. So my suggestion would be to use it immediately after making it. Of course, you can always spend an hour trying to paddle out the bubbles, but, they don't all come out, and it's a pain in the rear! icon_wink.gif

milkmaid42 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 9

When I read your request, I ran to my hard copy printouts to locate the recipe you are searching for. (I am a little old fashioned in that I still store things in binders.)
2.5 C. Butter
2.5 C. Shortening
Splash of Vanilla
Cocoa, mix in to the above. (She says she never measures it; just dumps it in and mixes it until it reaches a very dark brown color.)
5 pounds powdered sugar streamed in
Coffee creamer liquid (as shown in the DVD) in the amount needed.

She says this is good at room temperature for several days to weeks. Fridge or freezer also.

I haven't made it yet, but since I so enjoy her recipes I put it aside for future needs. Hope this helps.

No-goodLazyBum Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 9

Do you have to add any salt to bring out the taste of the chocolate?

milkmaid42 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 9

Her recipe didn't mention any salt. If I were to add anything else, I would suggest a pinch of instant coffee to heighten the chocolate. Perhaps added to the hot coffee creamer used in the recipe.

Hmmmm, maybe a cake is needed at my house tonight?

Peridot Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 9

I have found it difficult to get a great tasting and great looking chocolate BC that crusts. I will have to try Sharon's. The ones that I have tried never crust or are a sickly looking chocolate. I want a nice dark one.

Callyssa Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 9

Why in the world did I think it was the same as her bc recipe, just adding cocoa??!! Maybe that's something *I* did myself!! LOL I'm so sorry! Well, I can tell you it tastes fine, if you want to try it! Just the bubble issue.....

Sweet_Guys Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 9

She just finished shooting a new DVD for all of us...Not sure of the title yet!

Anyway, we take chocolate candy coating, melt it down, and pour into the batch and whip...It gives it a light, airy, almost malt-like taste!!! YUM!!!

dstbni Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:05pm
post #9 of 9

I made a cake with chocolate buttercream last week. I used half creamer and half cocoa powder mixed with hot water as the "hot liquid" in the recipe. It was quite tasty and crusted well. I was thinking that maybe using hot chocolate mix in place of the creamer would work too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%