Best Way To Change Up A Basic Scratch Recipe?

Baking By springlakecake Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 9:17pm by brincess_b

springlakecake Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:48am
post #1 of 4

I have only been baking from scratch about a year. It has taken me a LONG time just to get 4 or 5 recipes that I am comfortable with. I would like to add more flavors, but I am wondering if I can just doctor some of the ones I have instead of finding entirely new recipes.

I notice sometimes on people's websites that they have like a billion different flavors. I often wonder if these recipes are entirely different or if they just use a basic flavor and add stuff to make it different. I'd at least like it to LOOK like I offer more even though I don't want to go to too much trouble finding new recipes LOL....I am lazy. If this is easily done, what is the best way to change the flavor? I have seen that CK icing fruit?

My basic recipes are Toba's moist yellow cake and her chocolate fudge cake. Any ideas? thanks

3 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 4

Google this phrase

cake master mixes

and see how they're doctoring their flavors. Take the basic concept and add or subtract from there, to your taste.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 4

Add flavoring, it doesn't much matter. If you add to much adjust flour, or water. It really is that simple. The whole "mystery" behind scratch cakes is technique. Once you learn that then you look into ratios of flour to sugar to liquid. If you change those % to much you have to adjust smoewhere else.

It's like this. You want a strawberry cake, add some strawberries. LOL. Not quite icon_biggrin.gif Strawberries are pretty tasteless when baked. I prefer to add Pucker to get that extra boost. If I was just adding that I would be fine. Since strawberries carry extra liquid you need to adjust somewhere. Usually I toss in some extra flour, and it takes care of it.

Mike

brincess_b Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 4

i have a basic recipe that also does for chocolate (add cocoa - in place of some flour), lemon/ orange (add juice of fruit - you can buy oils too - for a bajillion different flavours, at least in the states, including bubblegum i believe), coffee (add espresso).
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%