Cricut Personal Cutter On Sale

Decorating By miezimau Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 12:15am by KatieKake

miezimau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miezimau Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:17am
post #1 of 11

just wanted to let you all know that Joann has it on Sale for 129.99$ until October 24th.

Is that the one every one uses to cut the Cake and Cookie Stencils with?

10 replies
andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:50am
post #2 of 11

I have the big papa,Cricut Expression,it can do every thing and 24in+ cuts, not sure what the sizes on the other Cricuts are, but I'm sure you can still use it for stencils and gumpaste, you'll just be limited to their size capabilities.

miezimau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miezimau Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 11

How much did you pay for the Expression? They have it for 299$ there, but I don't know if I want to spend that much. Can you put your own designs in there, too or only what is in the Cartridges?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 11

I just saw at A.C. Moore where they have a bundle with the machine, a 12"x12" cutting board, 5 dyes, and something else for $319

I just can't see spending so much just yet........I'm hoping one day to stumble on someone on ebay that doesn't use theirs and is just hoping to get "something" from selling it LOL I can dream!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 11

What cartridges do you find you use the most? I am looking at them abut dont know which fonts to buy or which other cartridges are used the most.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 11

When i was looking to make stencils, i could not find any cartridge that has stencil fonts. I tried asking on their forum and even called them, but they verified that there are none.
That is why i now use SCAL (sure cuts a lot). I am able to download stencil fonts from any sites and use it on their program with the cricut. Here is where you can buy the program.
http://www.craftedge.com/index.php?rfid=9610140&ref=57232fe7512e58f28d448bab54087a08

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 11

Not sure if anyone has heard of this, but it's called the Silouhette SD and is by Quickutz. it's a personal diecutting machine (looks like a small inkjet printer). there are no cartridges. it cuts whatever you type or can draw. and for those of you not so good with drawing on the puter, they do have designs you can download right from their site (it does come with some free one). the downlaods are only like a buck or two. Its really meant for scrapbookers, but I purchased it b/c i do a lot of custom invites. It's pretty awesome. I've also used it to cut out templates for the baby converse shoes. oh yeah, and when you are not using it for "cake-ing", you can also do other stuff with it like vinyl lettering, glass etching and a whole bunch other stuff. i think it's 249.00, but they have a special where they will let you pay monthly over 6 months i think (thats what i did). and a trial period too.

here's the site if you are interested: http://www.silhouettemachine.com/

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 11

As far as actual cartridges go I use the storybook font alot for stencils. Other than that I promised myself I wasn't gonna buy a bunch of cartridges because they are expensive (I have since found great sales on the net), low and behold there were some I just couldn't live without and have so much fun with, but I use it for stuff other than caking. The SCAL program is the way to go (it's about $60, one time charge), if you can find it on the net or draw it yourself the Cricut can cut it with that program, it is awesome!

I got a Expressin bundle from HSN it came with all the stuff listed & 4 cartridges! (they switch which ones at different times) They have a no interest no hidden fee flex pay option so you can spread it out over 4 months I think, but after their first time buyers coupon code (C56574
15% off for new customers) and free shipping my total was like $280, an incredible deal! I love this machine more every time I use it icon_smile.gif (as for baking uses I do the lettering on all of my cake boards, cookie and cake stencils, bake sale signs and I will be using it for fondant and gumpaste as quickly as I can after I get home) thumbs_up.gif

Here's the exact bundle I got;

Indulge yourself in paper-crafting heaven with the Cricut Expression Cutting Machine with Accessories. This ultimate crafting tool is what you have always been looking for. It makes cutting large letters, shapes, phrases and more exciting! Capable of cutting sizes up to 12"L x 12"W, this machine is ideal for cutting large die-cuts for classroom decor, scrapbook layouts, signs, banners and much much more.

Cricut Expression Cutting Machine with Accessories Include:
  Expression die-cutting machine - measures approx. 22"L x 9"W x 8"H
  Cutting mat - measures approx. 12"L x 12"W
  Cutting blade
  2 full-content Cricut cartridges (Walk in My Garden and Plantin School Book)
  2 Cricut solution cartridges (Indie Art and Home Accents)
  3 black Cricut color ink cartridges
  2 brown Cricut color ink cartridges
  Yellow Cricut color ink cartridge
  Red Cricut color ink cartridge
  Green Cricut color ink cartridge
  Orange Cricut color ink cartridge
  Blue Cricut color ink cartridge
  Spatula tool
  Power adaptor
  Instructional DVD - "Getting to Know Your Cricut Machine"
  User's manual
  Registration information card
  Quick start guide

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 10:55pm
post #9 of 11

The storybook cartridge as well as the other font cartridges are good if you're using the actual letters (like for scrapbooking or with gumpaste).
When using the stencil cuts of those fonts, any letters that have a center are completely cut out, leaving a blob where the middle is. Picture the letter O for example. The cut will only go around the outside of the letter and the middle will be completely cut out, so when you stencil that, the middle is a large blob.
Sorry if this is unclear. It's hard to explain unless you actually experience it.

In order to get a good stencil, the letters that have these middles (Aa,Bb,Dd,g,Oo,Pp,Qq,R) need to have a slight break in the line in order to keep the middle attached while cutting. Does that make sense?

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:10pm
post #10 of 11

i use the sure cuts alot program for my cricut. I only need the cartidge that came with it. With the scal program you can use any font found on the net. and images if you use inkscape to tranform it to a svg. format.
I design and make my own cupcake wrappers.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:15am
post #11 of 11

Just to let you know DieCutCentral has the expression on sale for $199.97 this is the web site, http://www.diecutcentral.com/index.php?cPath=4_1 They have it with one cartridge for $225.97 I think it is, and two cartridges for $304.99 Check it out, you might find what you want and are willing to pay for. Had I not bought one on e-bay, I would have jumped at the one for $199.00

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%