Frankie Cake-Halloween

Decorating By cshelz Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 2:40pm by cshelz

cshelz Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:44am
post #1 of 7

This is my first semi-carved cake. It turned out good, and was pretty easy. One ? though. I usually don't use Red because it is bitter. I used purple and it also tasted bitter. Anyone know how to get rid of the taste. I used alot of the color to get a deep color. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

6 replies
kathysjoy Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:47am
post #2 of 7

I have used the wilton no taste red and it wasnt bitter so maybe next time you can give that a try. I didnt use alot b/c a small amount got the red I needed so if you use alot I'm not sure if it would indeed remain tasteless icon_smile.gif

cshelz Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks so much! I will give it a try.

tiggy2 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 7

Use chefmaster colors. No bitter taste and you use very little. No waiting for colors to intensify.

kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 7

When ever you want any dark, intense color start by tinting the white icing with a base color. Examples:

Red: start with a base of yellow, pink, or orange. Get that a nice vibrant shade then add your red paste/gel.

Purple: start with blue, pink, or red (not too much red).

Black: save all you bits and dabs of any and all colors in a jar in the fzr. When you want black, stir it up (it will be an ugly yuck color-LOL) then add your black.

You will need far less of the red, purple or black paste/gel so it won't take on that bitter taste.

Also, if a flavored icing will work w/the cake flavor, use UNsweetened KoolAid powder! icon_smile.gif It intensifies the color and flavors the icing. I don't measure it - but guess I add about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per cup. (Not the whole pkg).

zdebssweetsj Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 7

when I need a rally dark red as in crimson I'll use choc icing and add red. not nearlly as bitter. Plus choc yum

cshelz Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:40pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much! Gret Tips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%