Gumpaste Tree?

Decorating By Sylkladie Updated 7 Nov 2009 , 8:06pm by chellescountrycakes

Sylkladie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sylkladie Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:24am
post #1 of 10

can anyone tell me how to do a gumpaste tree oak or any other not christmas tree

9 replies
chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 10

I need to make one too, pictures would help icon_smile.gif

I have to make one to put a box stand in (for hunting)

I know that rolling out the gumpaste, then sticking on branches, BUT how do you make them stay? I've tried the water trick and it just didnt work for me...

what is this edible glue?

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 10

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but.......I saw on one of the cake challenges on TV recently where they dipped a grape cluster, minus the grapes, in chocolate and used that as a tree.....sure turned out cute in their project!
Just a thought!

FagasaurusRex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FagasaurusRex Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 10

It's probably a little late to respond to this now, but I used a dowel and then spun florist wire around near the top, branched out the intentional excess and covered the dowel in gumpaste, rolled out thin snakes for the branches and slid them over the wire. after everything was dry I painted it with chocolate using a stiff brush so you could see the stroke lines well. it gives an illusion of bark.

farmersdaughter4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmersdaughter4 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 1:50am
post #5 of 10

I just made an Autumn branch with gumpaste leaves for cake topper. Started out using a very small real wood branch...added some stems where needed (adhered with floral tape). Dipped the entire branch into plaster of paris...allowed to thoroughly dry. Then you could "paint" with melted chocolate. I painted mine using a stencil paint called "Twig". My Autumn cake won first prize (of course, I added a boy fairy sitting among the branch and leaves).

chellescountrycakes Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 4:58am
post #6 of 10

good ideas! thanks!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 10

I recently tried the dipped grape vine idea (someone suggested on here and it worked great! ) I used green Wilton candy melts. I used lollipop sticks for the structure of the tree and gumpaste, then painted on choc (melted milk choc candy melts )and painted it on.

I was going for the diorama tree look (see my tank cake in my photos). So, if that's the look you want, it works well...

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:38am
post #8 of 10

It probably is too late now, but here is how I did it. I bundled several wires together, bent it a little to add character, splayed them out at the end and wrapped in gumpaste. When dry, I painted with vodka/food color. I piped royal icing leaves, when dry, wired together to form bunches and wrapped the base in brown floral tape which I then wrapped to the branches. I could have filled in with leaves a little better, but was darn tired of leaves by then. You can see it in my photos as I don't know how to post a picture here on the post.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:53am
post #9 of 10

I made 2 trees last weekend and I did both with wire and royal icing.
I formed the tree skeleton from a bamboo skewer and floral wire and then poured royal icing over it, it took 2 coats but it covered all the wire and was bumpy and un-even just like a tree.
My trees were spooky black Halloween trees so there were no leaves but you could add some made from gumpaste directly to the royal icing before it dried.

chellescountrycakes Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 8:06pm
post #10 of 10

Ohhh the dowell and wire will do perfectly for my sons birthday cake. he actually wants a tree stand. this will be perfect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%