Beginner Classes Or Books??? Where??

Decorating By ToniLee Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 2:02am by ToniLee

ToniLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToniLee Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:21am
post #1 of 9

I have just recently started baking/decorating cakes myself and I have to say its such a great art!!! There are so many mediums within cake decorating, Im so excited to find somthing that I love so much!!!

Where can I take classes or what are some good books to get to learn??

Is it worth taking the Wilton classes that are at the Wilton school in the midwest?

Im looking for more professional detailed classes than the classes at Micheals etc.

8 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:46am
post #2 of 9

I am almost completely self-taught. The only training I've had is when I worked at Publix being trained on how to do certain things their way. CC is a great resource. There are also a lot of great tutorials on YouTube. Tonedna's are especially good. If you want to purchase videos, many CCers highly recommend Sugarshack's videos.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:47am
post #3 of 9

If you haven't taken the Wilton classes at Michaels, that might not be a bad place to start...you might learn something you don't know already, and you could find out if you learn better from a class or from books, before you invest in the more expensive classes.

You should see if there's a cake club in your area and what kind of stuff they offer.

The best way to pick out cake books is to go to the bookstore and pick up the ones that look interesting to you, then sit at a table (leave your kids at home for this trip so you can think icon_biggrin.gif) and just look through them to see what appeals the most to you, and if there are enough instructions in the book for you to be able to follow them easily. I've noticed that some books are mostly for inspiration and others are step-by-step how to make the cake.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:48am
post #4 of 9

I forgot to mention, there are a LOT of Wilton instructors on Cake Central icon_biggrin.gif maybe some of them would know how helpful the basic wilton classes might be.

jmchao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmchao Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:12pm
post #5 of 9

I would suggest Wilton classes to start. They are affordable and really do offer a great deal of "Hey, I didn't know that! That makes sense now!" moments vs. trying to determine how to do something only from a book. Once you get through the Wilton classes and understand and have applied the basics, then you can certainly move on to more advanced classes if you wish.

For me, learning from a book about something so hands-on doesn't work well. I liked the classes-she had examples of the different icings so we can compare stiff, med, thin; royal vs. buttercream; etc. She helped with the right angle when holding the bag, and tossed in a few tips/tricks now and then that the books don't mention.

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 9

It depends on the type of learner that you are. if you are a visual-learner who likes to see - then local Wilton classes are an inexpensive way to go. As as the previous poster mentioned, you get great tips that you cannot find in a book and you have the live interaction if something else pops in your mind. You also get to hear other students' questions - they raise things you might not even think of.

If you can read a book and do a technique then go ahead and purchase books. They are a great resource.

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 9

I took Wilton classes and I learned a lot there. After the classes I found this place which has been the best place to learn. But it was important to take those classes to learn the basis...good luck!!!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 9

Wilton classes at Michaels of AC Moore. They are very inexpensive and can actually teach you a lot.

ToniLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToniLee Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:02am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for all of your posts! Ill be sure to check into the wiltons classes! thank you for all of your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%