Bettercreme

Decorating By sister340 Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 3:57pm by sister340

sister340 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:46am
post #1 of 10

Do you recommend bettercreme for the crumb coat under BC or fondant? It seems it is used most widely as an ingredient in fillings. What else do you use it for?
j.

9 replies
andpotts Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:23am
post #2 of 10

I'm not sure about fondant, but I don't think it would work as a crumb coat under BC. I always use it for fillings for cupcake swirls and I frost certain cakes. It doesn't really work for detailed decorations and you won't ever get deep colors with it just pastels, but it is soooo good depending on what you mix with it (lots of options) Check out Melviras post Bettercream Fun on the CC board if you need flavoring ideas icon_smile.gif

sister340 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:06am
post #3 of 10

I went to pick up the bucket of bettercreme at Sam's bakery, and when they brought it out it said, But-R-Creme. So..........not sure what I've got yet. I guess I'll just check it out and see what its like. Strange, I had asked them if they had bettercreme by Riches, and this is what I got.......
j.

JanH Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:17am
post #4 of 10

But-R-Creme (by Dawn Food) is a buttercream frosting:

http://www.dawnfoods.com/Public/Dynamic/Products/ProductsCategory2.asp?cat0=17&cat1=46&PTid=2

Rich's Bettercreme is the non-dairy whipped frosting/filling:

http://www.richs.com/product_info.cfm?catid=6159

I'd return what they gave you because it's not what you wanted. icon_sad.gif

HTH

sister340 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 10

I'm going to do that. thought it was like bettercreme. no sense keeping it if it's not, cost $30.
j.

sister340 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 4:29am
post #6 of 10

Pastry Pride. Is that what its called? I've found a place to buy that. Is it like bettercreme?

JanH Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 4:44am
post #7 of 10

Pastry Pride (found on west coast) is similar to Rich's Bettercreme.

Since I've never been able to find it online, I don't know that it's shelf stable for 5 days, as is Rich's Bettercreme. But you can substitute PP in any bettercreme recipe successfully - just not sure about shelf stability.

HTH

TheBlonde Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:39pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sister340

I'm going to do that. thought it was like bettercreme. no sense keeping it if it's not, cost $30.
j.

Don't return it, if you haven't already. I usually use Bettercreme that I buy from the supermarket but they happened to be out of it so I went to Sam's club. Their But-R-Creme is the same consistancy and taste as the bettercreme. It can be store exactly the same as well. I would however complain about the price. I only paid $19 at my Sam's club for the 15 lb bucket.

tenleysmommy Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:55pm
post #9 of 10

Bettercreme does not taste like But-r-creme.One is a shortening sugar based icing and the other is a non dairy whipped frosting.It does not work well on fondant,as it will melt the fondant and is hard to apply the fondant because of the consitency.It can be used as a filling or to ice a cake or cupcakes.You can flavor it with almost anything.Check this out http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-601193.html
there is everything you want to know.Oh,and the stuff at sams is prewhipped so its slightly different than the liquid that you whip yourself.HTH

sister340 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:57pm
post #10 of 10

So, but-r-creme is good under fondant? But not bettercreme? Bettercreme is the best for fillings? But-r-creme is good for some thing? I"ve just made buttercreme from a recipe in the past.
j.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%