How Do I Handle This?

Business By cocorum21 Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 3:17am by cocorum21

cocorum21 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 8

I am doing a wedding cake for a client(Elizabeth, shop owner) in two weeks. She also ordered her parents anniversary cake a few weeks ago. She talked to me about two months ago about doing some logo cookies for her company she said she would let Anna(her employee) handle the order. Then about 4-5 weeks ago, Anna from her store calls and we spoke and Anna said she would send me the logo so I can give her a firm price, I did give Elizabeth an estimate when we first spoke. I never heard from Anna again. I get an email this Saturday at 8:45pm with the logo. I just called and spoke to Anna to discuss it and she said 'oh well we spoke 3 weeks ago, never heard from you and we already took care of it.' blah blah....

I have a feeling that she(Anna) forgot to send me the logo and to cover her ass she decides to send it this past saturday. I don't want it to look like I dropped the ball on this one. To be honest, Elizabeth has been the best and easiest client I've ever had. Never complains about price. Paid for wedding cake early and just a generally nice person and I was hoping to get repeat business & referrals from her.

What I really want to do is email her and tell her that I just got the logo email and it's not my fault. I guess it could be since I didn't call Anna back to see when she was going to send the logo but honestly after I talk to someone on the phone if you don't email me what I need my mind just erases it and I'm done.

If I do email her(Elizabeth, shop owner) do I do it now since it's still fresh or after her wedding? I don't want to stress her out. More so I don't want her to this that I am unreliable. What should I say?

7 replies
-Tubbs Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:49am
post #2 of 8

I would mention it in a kind of "sorry about the mix-up" kind of way. I can tell that you don't want to drop Anna in it, but you do need to make sure the client knows you were waiting for something from them which didn't come. You could also say you assumed they didn't want to proceed because you didn't hear anything.

I'd say something before the wedding, so the air is clear and you're not worrying about what she thinks of you. Maybe do it as a P.S. to an email about how excited you are about the cake!

costumeczar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:49am
post #3 of 8

I'd email Elizabeth and say something like this:

Hi there-- I'm sorry that I wasn't able to do the logo cookies for you. We had a miscommunication and I assumed that you had decided to go in another direction when I didn't get the logo in an email after talking to Anna. I did receive it yesterday, and when I called to ask about the details of the order she told me that it had already been taken care of.

I just want to assure you that everything is on track for your wedding cake, and if you have any questions you shouldn't hesitate to call me!

playingwithsugar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:51am
post #4 of 8

And make sure you keep all those e-mail communications saved until after this issue is resolved, just in case she wants to see that the e-mail wasn't sent until very, very late.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:56am
post #5 of 8

Hey, TubbsCookies, you must have been responding at exactly the same time that I was, and we pretty much gave the exact same advice! Aren't we wise? icon_lol.gif Either that or we're both totally off.

Ursula40 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:20am
post #6 of 8

I already answered, but it's not showing.

I would hit the reply button (in this case cc to Elisabeth)

Just say (if you want to do the cookies), based on the received picture of the logo, the cookies would cost such and such at such and such sizes. Minimum order such and such, follow by payment details. this way the email shows when you received it and that you were quick in answering without having to point it out specifically. I'd do it fast, so that your client knows, that the dely wasn't your fault, she can see, when the picture was sent from the email below.

-Tubbs Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:30am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Aren't we wise? icon_lol.gif

Yeah, that one!!

Actually, I think Ursula's suggestion is better. icon_biggrin.gif No blame, but a clear email-trail showing it's not OP's fault.

cocorum21 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:17am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I'd email Elizabeth and say something like this:

Hi there-- I'm sorry that I wasn't able to do the logo cookies for you. We had a miscommunication and I assumed that you had decided to go in another direction when I didn't get the logo in an email after talking to Anna. I did receive it yesterday, and when I called to ask about the details of the order she told me that it had already been taken care of.

I just want to assure you that everything is on track for your wedding cake, and if you have any questions you shouldn't hesitate to call me!

Thank you! I just cut and pasted it and sent that to her along with the forwarded email so she can see the date that I received the email.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%