An Order For This I Need Fondant?

Decorating By tarascupcakes Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 12:05am by tarascupcakes

tarascupcakes Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 4

A customer would like this cake. As you can see the cake is covered in fondant, but she doesn't necessarily want it in fondant. Can I do this same cake if it's iced in buttercream solely? Please keep in mind, I can not get my buttercream to crust (an ongoing issue I have) and I get blowouts in my buttercream regularly (another ongoing issue I'm working on). I need to give her a quote soon and I need to know if fondant is necessary. I think it would be easier and less chance of bleeding of colors, right? TIA for any advice and feedback!!!

3 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 4

It sounds like you're more comfortable with fondant, so that's what you should stick to. I don't have any trouble telling my friends that unless they want cupcakes, they're getting fondant icon_biggrin.gif It's a little different for a paying customer, but you know what you can do best.

I'm sure there are people who could do that cake perfectly in buttercream but personally I don't think I could get it that smooth.

About the crusting, have you tried Indydebi's recipe?

vagostino Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 4

i think you can do it in buttercream, but only if you feel comfortable about it. the good thing is that you can use the brick impression mat in the two bottom layers easily and that will hide any buttercream bumps. plus there is so much detail that you can hide a lot of stuff!

tarascupcakes Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:05am
post #4 of 4

I hav tried Indydebi's recipe. I can get a crust every once in a while, but not all the time. I think my cakes are too moist and they let off too much moisture for the buttercream to fully crust. I have went back and forth with other CC folks and I know now I make the buttercream correctly, so there is not an issue there. Anyway, I can get my buttercream iced cakes pretty smooth cause I let them get cool in fridge if they are not crusting and the fat solidifies and I can smooth it. I like smoothing it much more though when it truly crusts. I will probably do the fondant. Thanks to all and please keep suggestions coming.

Quote by @%username% on %date%