Networking/recommending Other Decorators

Business By suzylynn58 Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 12:47am by suzylynn58

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 5

Okay - I am probably going to get slammed for this, but I guess I can take it. icon_eek.gif

Anyway, as some of you know, I just opened my legal shop. And as most of us starting out, have been flying under the radar for a couple years testing the waters and seeing if I really wanted to do this as a business.

I was asked today if I would consider recommending someone else in town, who is not licensed, when I am too busy to take more orders. I was asked by her friend, not by the decorator. To my horror, I discovered I have become a "legal decorator snob". I guess because I worked hard to get all my ducks in a row, I kind of resented being asked. BUT I also know that lots of people don't even know you are supposed to be licensed.

So how do any of you handle referrals. I know many of you are in areas where there are lots of decorators. As far as I know I am the only legal one in my small rural town altho i do know several people who do cakes and I would never turn any of them in.

I do need to find a couple others in my area that can do work similar to mine in the event I was unable to do an order at the last minute. But like I say, I am kind of isolated from a larger town.

I know this was kind of rambling, but any thoughts?? or am alone feeling like this???

4 replies
tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 5

Follow your gut. It's the only way you'll be able to live with yourself.

If you feel strongly that you would rather refer people to a legal joint, but you're the only one in town (and you're sure), then perhaps you can refer people with a caveat. Tell your non-licensed friend that you only feel comfortable referring business to her if she discloses her non-licensedness (yes, I make up my own words icon_lol.gif). And if the customers are fine with that, then so be it.

I'm just throwing out ideas here. icon_wink.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 5

I would be agreeable-ish but noncommital to the friend of a friend.

Like, "Oh yeah that's an idea." like a light bulb just came on.

Din say I would exactly though.

I only refer folks to licensed decorators because I don't want to get anyone else in trouble--I'm not licensed myself and so I don't pass along any potential issues for others either.

You don't have to think twice about it kwim.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 5

If your legal, I would recommend a legal baker. I have only met one person that I will recommend. They did my wedding cake, they bake simliar to me, and they are LEGAL. I feel fully confident in recommending them. And I guess that's what really matters. Ask yourself, would you order a cake from them?

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:47am
post #5 of 5

I would love to have another legal baker to refer to and share with. anyone out there in SW Louisiana???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%