Couple Questions About This Cake

Decorating By shannonlovebug Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 12:47am by shannonlovebug

shannonlovebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlovebug Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 10

A bride has asked me to make this cake. Does anyone know by looking at it what size the tiers are? She would also like some of the details to be in eggplant purple. Which details do you think would look best done in color? All the accents, or just some of them? What would you charge for this cake and how many people would it feed?

TIA!!

9 replies
shannonlovebug Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 10

oops forgot the pic
LL

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 10

I would make the diamond cut outs and the stripes in the eggplant. It doesn't matter what size these tiers are, you need to know how many people she is going to feed and figure the tier sizes from there.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 10

My guess - 6,8,12,14
I think the stripes, diamonds and the bow would be nice in eggplant

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 10

the question is how many servings does she need, since what she will be paying for is the servings. If she needs 25 servings, thats too much cake. If she still wants a 4-tiered cake regardlees of srvings, she still has to pay for ALL the servings, not just what she needs.

pupandbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pupandbon Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 10

personally, i would only do pearls on each layer (adding some between the diamonds) to each layer, i think the larger pieces would be too much color, but that's just me!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 10

That is a 6, 10, 14, 16.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:08pm
post #8 of 10

Possibly even an 18" on the bottom. Looks between 16 and 18.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 10

ditto tiggy and laflorabell ..... it doesnt' matter what size the cakes are in the pic. What size cake does she need? What kind of design does the bride want? Meaning, does she want lots of purple or just purple accents? You have no photos posted .... have you done a stacked/tiered cake before?

pricing is subject to lots of variables ...... What part of the country are you in? (Cost of supplies in Alaska is way different than cost of supplies in Kansas). Do you buy from retail grocery? From Sam's? From a food distributor? WHat kind of overhead do you have to cover? Even down to what size oven do you have .... determines the time investment needed just to bake the cakes.

There are TONS of threads on pricing in the business forum that will not only help you with the price range, but will help educate you on how to build a good pricing structure for future cakes.

And in the "it's a given but we say it anyway" column, check into your state laws to see what's involved to be legal to sell cakes, and if you're not legal, will the venue even let you in with the cake?

shannonlovebug Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:47am
post #10 of 10

thanks for all the replies! I was also thinking that it would look best to do the bow, the diamonds and the stripes in purple. Yes, I have done stacked cakes before and this design is pretty simple so I'm not worried about that. She has 150 guests so I know this cake as shown will feed much more than that but she wants the look of the 4 tiers. I'm not charging her a per slice price since I'm not really a business yet. She has a budget of $500 and I said I'd do it for that to help me with my portfolio/get exposure. I was just curious what others would charge for it. My main concern was where the color accents would look best in others' opinions (the bride is very open to suggestions and is very flexible).

Thanks again...don't know what I'd do without this site and all the helpful people!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%