White Fresh Cream Crusting Frosting - Not Butter Cream

Baking By fariak Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 7:10pm by milmil95

fariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fariak Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 8

Hi -
I am looking for a good fresh cream frosting. I always use the wilton butter cream frosting and i have had a lot of people come back to me and tell me they dont like it.
Now i have one particular request to frost the cupcakes with a frosting that is made with fresh cream but its super hot here so i dont know how to make one that will withstand the heat.

Please help
Thanks

7 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 8

If you're talking about a whipped cream frosting, whipped cream does not crust. There are some mock whipped frosting recipes, but they're highly heat sensitive.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 8

wilton has lots of recipes on their site. as does cake central.. the wilton recipe using butter and shortening and milk or whipping cream is very good.. also on this site.. sharon zambito buttercream recipe is very good.. buttercream dream recipe is very good. then some people use only imbc or smbc.. that is lite and creamy.. some people don,t like the taste. lots of people do.. there is no fresh cream frosting even if you stabilize it . will withstand heat.. sorry.. lots of people use the butter, whipping cream and shortening and powder sugar.. but they don,t call it the wilton recipe.. i don,t like the taste of the wilton buttercream without the butter. but some people do.. adding butter makes it a bit softer. but taste better.. so try the italian meringue buttercream or the swiss meringue buttercream . and see if you like it or your clients.. hth

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 8

I'd like to follow this forum. Let me know what you decide on
now that i've started cake decorating, I've had to talk myself into liking buttercream even though I don'otsI would expect ots of people may agree with this.

fariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fariak Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 8

I ended up using a wilton recipe with butter in it. It was okay tasting. the person i made it for didnt like it much. I think slowly i will start trying out one recipe at a time till i find one that i think works well icon_smile.gif

nanamama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanamama Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 8

I've had good results with Indydebi's BC recipe since I joined the site. Icer101, what exactly is IMBC or SMBC and do they crust?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 8

IMBC = Italian Meringue Buttercream
SMBC = Swiss Meringue Buttercream

No, they do not crust.

They are very similar, the only difference being the preparation of the meringue. In IMBC, the meringue is made by whipping egg whites and then adding a sugar syrup that has been heated to 248 deg F. IN SMBC, the meringue is made by cooking the egg whites and sugar together in a bain marie (double boiler) and then whipping. In both, after the meringue is made and cooled to just above room temp, butter is added, and then flavoring.

They are both very rich and buttery tasting and no where near as sweet as fat+PS frostings.

They are very easy to work with and do NOT require refrigeration, but you cannot use certain techniques with them (like the VIVA paper towel smoothing method) that were developed for use with crusting BCs.

milmil95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milmil95 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 8

I have been using the Wilton recipe that I modified slightly .. it does a great job crusting and tastes yummy:

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 stick of butter (I use Sam's generic butter)
1 teaspoon clear vanilla and 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1tbs milk and 2 tsp milk (this makes it thick ... thin as needed with milk or water).

Sometimes I substitute 1/2 cup of sugar with cake flour ... this helps it crust better and it cuts down on the sweetness, which is helpful when i have a very sweet cake and filling (too much of a good thing, ya know icon_wink.gif ). Adding meringue powder would work too, but then it's about 3 tbs added to the recipe above. Personally I prefer the cake flour.

Best thing I can suggest is to play with some of the recipes to determine what works best for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%