Another Ultimate Cake-Off Post. Just A ?

Decorating By babeebk Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 7:22pm by Win

babeebk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babeebk Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 17

I didn't want to hijack any of the others because I have a specific question.

It's pretty obvious that the contentants don't just learn of the challenge theme right before they get started. Because how would they know what supports/materials to bring?

For those who have competed, how much prep time is given before you actually start working?

Is the actual cake served at the event? or do you get to recreate it for the special event?

16 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 17

In the back of my mind, I feel like they actually know about the theme before the challenge.

Sharon Zambito actually said that the cake they made was not recreated and not served.

babeebk Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 17

they HAVE to know!!

Right after the tell them the challenge, they start pulling out boards and pipes and all sorts of materials specific to their intended cake design. So they gotta tell 'em ahead of time....

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 17

If they didn't know then they wouldn't know what to bring or how much cake to bring, fondant, chocolate...ect

Someone said the actual cake was taken to the event the next day. We saw that on the episode with the Aquarium and shark cakes and at the end of last nights episode it showed the cake being eaten at the event.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 17

I think Sharon said they serve sheet cakes and the actual winning cake is not served.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 17

It specifically says in the closing credits that the cake served was not the cake created...right? I don't know what it says word for word, but, something to that effect.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 17

*moderator edited*

This is actually information that is not to be broadcasted. One thing to consider is having to ship your supplies across the country. This a a huge venture for your pocket book. I was there for six days when I filmed. It is television and it takes time.

babeebk Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 17

I'm sure TLC doesn't want that info out there but anyone who knows anything about cake construction (as most of us CC'ers) do, can surmise that the theme is disclosed ahead of time.

btw, Mary...loved your cake!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:58pm
post #9 of 17

Shipping all the supplies needed has got to be a huge undertaking. At least it's not like beauty pageants where the contestant spends their own money on all things needed and pay an entrant fee to compete only to take a chance on winning.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:00pm
post #10 of 17

i have a question, too. i know this is going to sound stupid, but i always wondered... do you all get bathroom breaks? like, do they stop the clock for a few minutes to let every "go" or even eat? or is it as intense as they make it out to be? 9 hours nonstop (unless you lose a mini challenge that is)?

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:26pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

i have a question, too. i know this is going to sound stupid, but i always wondered... do you all get bathroom breaks? like, do they stop the clock for a few minutes to let every "go" or even eat? or is it as intense as they make it out to be? 9 hours nonstop (unless you lose a mini challenge that is)?

We do not stop tp eat. I had some snacks when I was sat out and ran...ran to the rest room....
they do not stop the clock.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:39pm
post #12 of 17

You might ask Jennifer Dontz -- she's been on that show too.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:43pm
post #13 of 17

We were allowed to grab a snack or have a potty break whenever we needed one...but...the clock didn't stop.

We had some snacks under the counter...believe me...when doing something like this, the last thing on your mind is food! LOL

Jen icon_smile.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:53pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by babeebk

they HAVE to know!!

Right after the tell them the challenge, they start pulling out boards and pipes and all sorts of materials specific to their intended cake design. So they gotta tell 'em ahead of time....

REALLY!!! How naive do the producers think the majority of the public truly is? I mean, you don't have to work in cake to know there is no way you could have all that stuff specific to the design of your cake... personally, I think it's a waste of air-time to pretend the designers are just coming up with a design and getting ready to execute it. It's just like Iron Chef... they, too, have been given a heads up on what to expect as a "secret" ingredient.

edited to say, oops, sorry about the emphasis in entire text... only meant to be the "Really." icon_biggrin.gif

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:55pm
post #15 of 17

dang, hard core and intense it is! thanks for answering my question! icon_smile.gif

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:15pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:

I'm sure TLC doesn't want that info out there but anyone who knows anything about cake construction (as most of us CC'ers) do, can surmise that the theme is disclosed ahead of time.

I say that the general public....which really is the target audience.....does not have any real clue as to what goes into construction.....so they probably think you just show up with cake layers and wing it from there.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:22pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:

I say that the general public....which really is the target audience.....does not have any real clue as to what goes into construction.....so they probably think you just show up with cake layers and wing it from there.

...general public and cake construction, yes. My brother who knows nothing about cake in general saw the show and commented on the opening segment and about how stupid it was to allude that the design and heavy duty support all happened within a a prescribed amount of time. His statement was, "any project of that magnitude takes days of planning and thought put into how it is constructed. There's no way I'm gonna believe that they just magically pulled all that out of their rectal data banks..."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%