Jack O' Lantern Cake

Decorating By Roxybabe61888 Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 6:27am by andpotts

Roxybabe61888 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 15

I want to make a pumpkin shaped cake for Halloween. I have read that most people have used a bunt pan to get the shape but how do you fill the hole in the center? Or is there a better option to get the pumpkin shape?

14 replies
montanamommy Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 15

I would really like to know this too. Whats the best method for making a pumpkin shaped cake?

newmansmom2004 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 15

I'd make an extra cake and cut circles out of that cake, then stack the circles in the center of the bundt cakes.

I hadn't even thought of using a bundt pan - I was just going to carve a pumpkin shape but I like the bundt idea far better!

Jopalis Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 15

I think they just make a rice Krispy or Gumpaste/Fondant stem and stick it in the whole. You don't have to fill it all the way up.

Tiffany29 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 15

I made a pumpkin cake a few yrs ago with the bundt cake pan, (Before I knew anything about caking.) I didn't fill the hole in the center. I stuck a green ice cream cone in the top for the stem. It was fine without any kind if support in the center.

keystone Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 15

You can use the bottom part of a flat bottomed ice cream cone. I've used a cupcake before but recently I saw one with the ice cream cone. I use a bundt pan. I am going to try using the mini bundt pans for mini pumpkins this year.

Jopalis Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 15

YES.... I forgot about the ice cream cone.... Do you cover them in green or brown fondant?

Tiffany29 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:46pm
post #8 of 15

Either one would be fine. I used a green pre colored cone.

keystone Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 15

I covered mine with green fondant and added leaves.

tigerhawk83 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:35am
post #10 of 15

I just posted mine - did it in a bundt pan and covered a flat bottomed ice cream cone with black fondant - piped the leaves and vines with #352 tip. Probably isn't tall enough though for a jack o lantern. Other suggestions I have seen in the last few weeks for baking - Wilton sports ball pan, round deep metal mixing bowl, 2 bundt cakes flat sides together.

Have fun icon_biggrin.gif

MrsNancyB1 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:57am
post #11 of 15

I plan on using the Wilton Sports ball pan, and carving grooves into it for the shape of the pumpkin. This will be my first time doing it, so hopefully it turns out OK. icon_razz.gif

lainvest64 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:07am
post #12 of 15

My sister and I just made one for my Great Neice's birthday. I used two bundt pans and used 2 small ice cream cones (one flat on bottom and one on top of it upside down) filled with icing for stability. Then, I covered the cone with green buttercream and added vines and leaves. My sister made mice out of gumpaste and fondant. It was a hugh hit. I will try to get it posted tomorrow. (It is now posted, under Halloween cakes, if you are interested in seeing it. Sorry I don't know how to attach to the message).

andpotts Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:18am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany29

Either one would be fine. I used a green pre colored cone.

This is exactly what I did, bundt pan, flap bottom green cone, easy breezy icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:41am
post #14 of 15

I'm making a jack-o-lanturn ccc for two granddaughter's joint b-day party on the 31st. The oldest wants exactly what I made for her school b-day party last year. Both girls loved it and it's fun and easy for me to make. Much easier than whet I usually make for their party. We all benefit! Yeah!!

andpotts Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:27am
post #15 of 15

CarolAnn your CCC is SO cute! It's no wonder they wanted that again icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%