Rolled Buttercream Fondant

Baking By jlsndss23 Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 3:07am by cambo

jlsndss23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsndss23 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 11

For those of you who have used the rolled buttercream fondant...when/how do you add color to it??

10 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 11

I'm always confused by this term. There's a product called rolled buttercream. There's a product called fondant. But to my knowledge (40 years in the biz, culinary school educated) I am completely unfamiliar with anything called rolled buttercream fondant. Are you mixing the two products together?

In any event, whenever you're putting in the liquid, put in the color.

jlsndss23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsndss23 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 11

well some call it rolled buttercream icing and some call it rolled buttercream fondant...recipe i am using calls it fondant:

1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
2 pounds confectioners' sugar

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, stir together the shortening and corn syrup. Mix in the salt and vanilla flavoring, then gradually mix in the confectioners' sugar until it is a stiff dough. If you are using a stand mixer, use the dough hook attachment. Otherwise, knead by hand. If the dough is sticky, knead in more confectioners' sugar until it is smooth. Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
To use, roll out on a clean surface that has been dusted with confectioners' sugar until it is 1/8 inch thick or thinner if you can. Drape over frosted and chilled cakes and smooth the sides down, or cut into strips to make bows and other decorations.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 11

That's rolled bc. Good luck with it. I made it once. Once. Never again. It would be fine for cookies, though. To me, rolled bc tastes like greasy fondant.

cad1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cad1951 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 11

i have used rolled buttercream for the figures i have made. i mix the rolled buttercream and leave white. then i color certain amounts as needed for my figure i am working on, leaving the rest of it white for later. i really like this mixture for my figures, but i add about 3 tbsp of gumtex to mixture after making recipe, this helps in drying and keeping it's shape. you need to just make sections of your figure at a time and let them dry for about an hour before sticking sections together, this helps to keep it's shape and prevent shape shift. be sure to prop formed sections or figure while drying to keep shape. if you place leftover rolled buttercream in ziplock bags and place bags in airtight container in refrigerator, this will keep for months and leaving it white, you can make it any color you need for later in small amounts. holds color great, color will brighten a little after coloring as in buttercream icing. will be glad to help if needed for future in this topic. icon_biggrin.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 11

I know some folks use it to cover cakes, but with my experience and the recipe I use I couldn't imagine covering a cake with it. I use it exclusively for covering cookies and it's WONDERFUL to work with! I also use flavored extracts (orange, cherry, etc) and it is absolutely delicious....10x better than any fondant I've tasted (and Satin Ice is my favorite). Although it is greasier than fondant, if you use more confectioner's sugar to roll it out, the grease will absorb and leave a nice, mat finish! I color mine after it's all mixed. It accepts color VERY well!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo

I know some folks use it to cover cakes, but with my experience and the recipe I use I couldn't imagine covering a cake with it. I use it exclusively for covering cookies and it's WONDERFUL to work with! I also use flavored extracts (orange, cherry, etc) and it is absolutely delicious....10x better than any fondant I've tasted (and is my favorite). Although it is greasier than fondant, if you use more confectioner's sugar to roll it out, the grease will absorb and leave a nice, mat finish! I color mine after it's all mixed. It accepts color VERY well!

cambo, does the rolled bc dry hard enough to stack, and can you paint it and decorate with RI. TIA

cad1951, how did you get him so shiney? love him and the poll great idea
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1384483.html

jlsndss23, glad you asked this question and thanks for the recipe thumbs_up.gif

cad1951 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:34pm
post #8 of 11

the fishing pole is a piece of raw spaghetti. i also use the raw spaghetti for support in my figures. if you use just enough shortening to make the piece of colored rolled buttercream, i helps to knead and form it. be sure to let rolled buttercream come to room temp before using. sometimes it will add luster to the figure but can't use too much, it will take longer to dry. just rub a little shortening on your hand just enough to keep it from sticking. lay on rolled up plastic or can use bubble wrap to help keep form til dry. some of the shine is the flash from the camera. thanks so much for the compliment. post if need any tips on anything.

cad1951 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 11

i paint my features with diluted food coloring and sometimes add hair, etc with buttercream icing or royal icing. royal icing is better, it dries harder and faster.rolled buttercream has a better taste than fondant when eating. you can stack it, just have to do in sections and let dry a little bit hard before stacking so it will keep it's shape. i usually let sections dry an hour or two on former then when it is dry enough to keep it's shape after stacking, i glue my sections together with a paint brush and a little piping gel. don't use too much piping gel, just enough for it to stick together or your piece will slide. this way my decorations are totally edible. i use food coloring on toothpick to paint my features. good luck, have fun!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:48pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cad1951

i paint my features with diluted food coloring and sometimes add hair, etc with buttercream icing or royal icing. royal icing is better, it dries harder and faster.rolled buttercream has a better taste than fondant when eating. you can stack it, just have to do in sections and let dry a little bit hard before stacking so it will keep it's shape. i usually let sections dry an hour or two on former then when it is dry enough to keep it's shape after stacking, i glue my sections together with a paint brush and a little piping gel. don't use too much piping gel, just enough for it to stick together or your piece will slide. this way my decorations are totally edible. i use food coloring on toothpick to paint my features. good luck, have fun!

Thank you so much, I am making cookies and want to try different ways and then will choose the ones that work for me. I appreciate all the help I get.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:07am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo

I know some folks use it to cover cakes, but with my experience and the recipe I use I couldn't imagine covering a cake with it. I use it exclusively for covering cookies and it's WONDERFUL to work with! I also use flavored extracts (orange, cherry, etc) and it is absolutely delicious....10x better than any fondant I've tasted (and is my favorite). Although it is greasier than fondant, if you use more confectioner's sugar to roll it out, the grease will absorb and leave a nice, mat finish! I color mine after it's all mixed. It accepts color VERY well!

cambo, does the rolled bc dry hard enough to stack, and can you paint it and decorate with RI. TIA

cad1951, how did you get him so shiney? love him and the poll great idea
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1384483.html

jlsndss23, glad you asked this question and thanks for the recipe thumbs_up.gif

RBC will dry firm, but never harden. The detail work on my cookies is royal icing. If you stack them and you use bags for them, leave a little air in each bag as a cushion so you don't have a "greasy spot" on your bag!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%