First Fondant Cake And Some Questions

Decorating By littlelucy30 Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 5:51pm by Rylan

littlelucy30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlelucy30 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 6

I made my first cake with fondant over the weekend for my brother's wedding. I used buttercream underneath and peanut butter buttercream for the filling. I used Satin Ice chocolate fondant and decorated with ribbon and silk flowers. I couldn't have done it without all of the great tips and tutorials I found on CC! I do have some questions, though:
my "practice" cake was awful! I froze the layers and filled and crumbcoated while the layers were still frozen. The icing became squishy and I couldn't get the fondant smooth. Is there a better way to do this?

I purchased the fondant smoother but could not get it to work. It kept sticking to the fondant and making small tears. What is the correct way to use a fondant smoother?

After I covered the layers and set them on the counter, I found a few areas on the cakes that were wrinkled. What is the best way to smooth fondant after it's set and dried?
LL
LL

5 replies
snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 6

I found that if I roll my fondant out a little thicker, I don't get wrinkles. It also helps keep the smoother from ripping it. Make sure you grease the smoother really well with shortening before you use it too! I used to have the same problems! HTH

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 6

I think the condensation from using a cold cake caused the fondant smoother to stick. I roll my fondant fairly thin and that helps. I guess from the previous post, it is all a matter of personal preference. Keep practicing and find "your" best way to work it.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 6

The coldness is the culprit here I think. I always let my layers thaw before icing. If your cake is crumbly, then refrigerate it for an hour to make icing easier. But the coldness and condensation of the layer is making your fondant stick.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 6

Once the fondant has dried on the cake, you can't smooth it again...at that point the best thing to do is to find a way to disguise the problem areas, or make that the back of the cake, if the cake will be displayed in front of a wall icon_biggrin.gif

Next time, don't frost a frozen cake...you can chill it after you crumbcoat it to make it firmer to put the fondant on, but freezing will usually make the fondant get condensation when the cake is thawing out. I always put my cakes in the fridge for a couple hours before I put the fondant on, but I've gotten pretty fast with smoothing the fondant, so it's already on the cake and smoothed by the time it gets to the sticky stage, and it dries pretty quick, so as long as it's not touched while it's sticky, it's fine.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 6

I usually dust my cake when it is sticky so the smoothers doesn't drag the fondant along with it. When done, I just rub shortening all over and wipe it off with a paper towel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%