Please Help Me! My First Pillared Wedding Cake!

Decorating By aminaz Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 2:45pm by aminaz

aminaz Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:32am
post #1 of 4

i've been asked to do the wedding cake below. i've done lots of wedding cakes using buttercream and the stacked cake method. but in the picture below is cakes that are supported by pillars which i've never done. the lady wants the cakes to be filled and iced with fresh whipped cream and fruits in the filling. the cake will be a genoise (sponge) cake. has anyone tried useing this soft and light cake as a wedding cake with pillars in between? i'm so scared that it well fall as she wants 5 cakes.

3 replies
peg818 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:57am
post #2 of 4

well, i don't see a picture, but yes you can do this, the easiest way is to use pushed in pillar method. Which is easier then using dowels, you simply have one plate and four pillars, you push the pillars down through the cake below and set the next cake on top with the plate under it. You do have to transport with the cake in pieces but takes minutes to toss it together.

You can find these systems all over, just do a search for single plate cake systems.

leah_s Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 4

ooo . . . of course I think the easiest system to use is SPS. I really, really don't like those tapered pillars. Your cake is being supported by the smallest part of the pillar. And if you don't get it pushed in exactly straight, you have the risk of a fall.

But let's back up to icing a cake with fresh whipped cream. That's where I would have said, "no way". When are you gonna ice all 5 tiers of that cake? Deliver it? Have it on display, then cut and serve it? You realize you've only got four hours total time for that entire process?

aminaz Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 4

i know but she insists as she does not like the taste of buttercream or fondant because its thick and sweet whereas whipped cream is creamy and tasty. what is the sps system by the way?
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%