Need Help With Minnie Hat Cake Topper...quick!!!

Decorating By sweetcakesbylindsey Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 2:50pm by sweetcakesbylindsey

sweetcakesbylindsey Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 10:30am
post #1 of 5

I have a Minnie cake due this Saturday. I looked simple enough, Minnie hat with a red bow, but I can't get the hat part to work and my bow looks like crap! I'm making the hat by covering a half ball pan in fondant/gum paste. It doesn't seem to be drying quick enough:/ Do you have any suggestions?!

4 replies
G_Cakes Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 10:38am
post #2 of 5

If your looking to have the had dry quicker I have had luck placing things with a fan blowing on them.

Mind you the gumpaste decorations were small and took not more than an hour or so to dry....

BakeLoveMom Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 10:48am
post #3 of 5

Anything I need to dry quickly I use straight gumpaste. Usually takes 2 days for somthing big like the head and ears...and a day for the bow. Good luck.

poohsmomma Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 5

I have made two. The first was a cake baked in half of a ball pan and covered in fondant. I stuck the ears made on sucker sticks into the hat at the party. The ears slowly drifted side-goggly.

I had another request for the same cake. This time I made the hat out of fondant-covered RKT and put the ears on popsicle sticks. They stuck into the RKT and never moved. (I did use another popsicle stick and make a hole for the ear before placing the hat on the cake and pushing the ears in so they wouldn't require so much force to insert.)

The first cake is in my pix if you want to see the finished product.

sweetcakesbylindsey Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 5

All great ideas! Thanks for the help icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%