Whipped Cream Frosting Question....

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 2:23am by Elise87

Elise87 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:59am
post #1 of 3

I was thinking of trying a whipped cream frosting to cover one of my cakes, basically it is heavy whipped cream, bit of icing sugar and flavouring.

My question is has anyone done something similar and i was wondering can you manage to get it looking pretty smooth or is it just too soft? Would you just whip it until it is the pretty firm?

I was hoping to get it looking close to the smoothness of buttercream. I guess i might have to rely on my skills with a spatular and smoother to get it the best i can lol

2 replies
cheeseball Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:12am
post #2 of 3

This is probably too late for the cake you mentioned, but for future reference, yes, you can get whipped cream as smooth as buttercream. The thing is, you have to slightly under whip it, because the manipulation with the spatula continues to beat it. If you whip it as stiff as you normally would, by the time you get your cake as smooth as you'd like, the cream will be grainy. Learned that little tidbit years ago from my Cocolat book icon_wink.gif

Elise87 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:23am
post #3 of 3

That's ok, thanks for replying, i just came across my post in the forums by accident cose i didn't get any notifications for this lol.

Yeh i did it and i don't think i whipped it enough and i couldn't get it really smooth but i'll try what you said next time cose i wasn't sure if it was good to overwhip etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%