Making A Diamond Out Of Sugar?

Sugar Work By Saharan1965 Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 9:31am by -K8memphis

Saharan1965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saharan1965 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:52am
post #1 of 3

My moms friend wants me to make a bridal shower cake for this weekend. It has a diamond on top, I was going to buy a large glass diamond from hobby lobby but if I could make it out of sugar or something comparable that would be better. How do I do it? What molds are best and what is the recipe? Thanks!

2 replies
miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 6:09am
post #2 of 3

You need to use isomalt instead of sugar and get the mold in the size you need, IMHO if you are not familiar working with sugar, I think it would be easier just to get the Cristal from HL

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:31am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

You need to use isomalt instead of sugar and get the mold in the size you need, IMHO if you are not familiar working with sugar, I think it would be easier just to get the Cristal from HL

I mean not that it can't be done but sugar has a learning curve--if you're already doing the cake, I'd pratice sugar another day.

It's not just another substance like fondant, candy clay or marzipan it is temperature & moisture sensitive in new ways to learn how to handle.

To be the crowning glory of your cake in a few days--I don't know even where to find a mold big enough--I'm thinking maybe a three inch, or five inch size gemstone? They probably don't have those at any local store to me--you'd have to make the mold or have it made.
Too much drama not enough time.

You'd do better to make a bunch of small chocolate gemstones--the molds can be purchased locally @ your cake store or craft store, and paint them with luster dust, and mound them up on top of the cake .

Chocolate molds are availabe in abundance--sugar molds are available though not as many designs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%