Who Won Ultimate Cake Off Today?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 8:08pm by madgeowens

MrsNancyB1 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:03am
post #1 of 39

I had my DVR set, and I got all the way until they were just about to announce the winner, and the DVR cut the ending off! Anyways, can someone tell me who the winner was?

I LOVED Ashley's cake. Despite her problems, I thought her design captured the full essence of the circus.

38 replies
patticakesnc Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:17am
post #2 of 39

Ashley won.

madgeowens Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:54am
post #3 of 39

I just found out from Mary the other contestant that Ashley sat out when Mary won the decorating contest and they never showed that part, so even with all her trouble with the elephant she sat out too, and she did an awesome job.....I loved the elephants eyes

MrsNancyB1 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 39

Thanks!

Yay, Ashley!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 39

I loved the eyes too!!!!

Ashley really deserved to win! I love Roland though, and wish he'd win a competition soon. He's like the pioneer in the industry, but the industry has changed so much as far as style and fondant and things and so his cakes never quite seem to measure up (visually) to the more modern decorators...but his talent is extreme and I'm really rooting for him to win a competition somewhere, sometime, soon I hope! I remember his cakes were some of the first I looked at once I got really hooked on the internet...his buttercream sculpting is amazing.

sadsmile Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 39

I just can not get over how much decorating they can get done in such a short time. It boggles my mind. Ashley's cake was the bomb! AMAZING! I could not imagine working under pressure like that! I wonder what Roland was trying to say...LOL

Kitagrl Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 39

Did they coach all that grumpiness or is Mary really like that????

sadsmile Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 39

Who knows...LOL Maybe she's nice. For the longest time Kerry had fangs as far as most of the world was concerned due to editing and what not. I have a cat that looks pissed off and like she could bite your face off and she follows everyone arround- but if you dare to stick your head down you will hear her gentle purr and she's just a marshmallow that wants to be loved.

Kitagrl Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:47pm
post #9 of 39

Oops there's another thread going on this subject and they did edit some of the snarkiness!

sadsmile Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:02pm
post #10 of 39

Yeah the editing can really hurt. I don't like it that they do that. The challenge is enough ya know... foreign kitchen, moisture issues, pressure, challenges, time out, and then they paint you in bad light through editing too... not fair.

Kitagrl Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 39

I would just be afraid that it would hurt someone's business if they edited a person in a bad light that they really didn't have. You know, if someone says "Man what a jerk, I won't order from her shop" (regarding anyone on any show)....

sadsmile Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:29pm
post #12 of 39

Ya know though it really wasn't that bad. It was just pressure during the competition. In the other thread she said her assistants are two of her students and that explains a lot. She was teaching them under competition pressure for crying out loud. Their hesitation wasn't anything more then them needing direction from her. It's amazing what editing can make you think is there, that isn't.

msulli10 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:32pm
post #13 of 39

I thought Ashley's cake was fabulous, but she has already been on that show. There are so many other decorators out there I wonder why they had her back a second time.

sadsmile Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:38pm
post #14 of 39

Norman was on twice and so was Tariq Hanna

moydear77 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:00pm
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Did they coach all that grumpiness or is Mary really like that????

I am really like thaticon_smile.gif

msulli10 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:32pm
post #16 of 39

Wonder why they have repeat competitors.

sadsmile Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:35pm
post #17 of 39

Run everyone!... Mary has come to unleash her grumpiness on us... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

moydear77 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:45pm
post #18 of 39

YES! I am here to throw fondant balls at your head while you say YES CHEF

TLC is about story telling. It is good to have some of the same people come back. You see them grow with every show!

sadsmile Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:51pm
post #19 of 39

Mary I'd be one of your assistants in a heart beat! I'll catch those balls yell, "Yes Chef!" and juggle them if you told me to...LOL

sweetjan Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 6:16pm
post #20 of 39

Mary, you are amazing. I watched the show last night and marveled at your knowledge and ability. I (we!) really respect you and your talents and knoweldge. And 'yes chef'! is well deserved!!!

And ya gotta love Ashley.....eyelashes, full make up, cute earrings, and a ribbon in her hair! All while sweating and kneading!! She's the cutest thing, and I'm glad she's getting some attention for her decorating talent.

weirkd Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 6:39pm
post #21 of 39

I think they are just trying to get people to watch so they want to add the drama. Mary, your cake was very clean and you did a marvelous job! I think I would of been so stressed that I would of been grumpy too! But you did a fabulous job I thought it was funny though the comment that Ashley made about you being called Chef. I know after going through all the schooling, etc. that its a title that you've EARNED like Doctor. But its not so commonly known for people to call people that unless they are in the food business, or a foodie, etc. Hell, I dont even call my doctor or dentist that! Unless I am referring him/her to someone else, then I will use the title. But I really dont think Ashley meant any offense by it, I think she was just cracking a joke, trying to relief some of the tension! She is also a CCer, so Im sure if she reads the thread, she will probably tell you the same!
So far Ive seen three or four contenstants that were on before. Norman, Ashley, the guy that won the aquarium one that I cant remember his name!. And I think there was one more but cant remember for the life of me who it was!
But Im a fan of the show, any cake show for that matter! I learn so much from watching and it sparks creativity! So I say the more cake shows the better!!

moydear77 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 6:52pm
post #22 of 39

I speak to Ashley all the time! We talked during the commercial break after that portion of the show. She would agree with me that she is not a Pastry Chef icon_smile.gif

moydear77 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 6:53pm
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjan

Mary, you are amazing. I watched the show last night and marveled at your knowledge and ability. I (we!) really respect you and your talents and knoweldge. And 'yes chef'! is well deserved!!!

And ya gotta love Ashley.....eyelashes, full make up, cute earrings, and a ribbon in her hair! All while sweating and kneading!! She's the cutest thing, and I'm glad she's getting some attention for her decorating talent.

Thanks!

MrsNancyB1 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:07pm
post #24 of 39

The really funny thing for me is I *hope* Mary is like that in real life, because when I was watching the show my DH commented that that's exactly how *I* would be under competitive stress. icon_lol.gif And to be honest, I agreed with him!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I don't want to think that I'm the only snarky caker around. icon_biggrin.gif

moydear77 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:10pm
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNancyB

The really funny thing for me is I *hope* Mary is like that in real life, because when I was watching the show my DH commented that that's exactly how *I* would be under competitive stress. icon_lol.gif And to be honest, I agreed with him!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I don't want to think that I'm the only snarky caker around. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:11pm
post #26 of 39

LOL you guys!

Mary honestly though I think I would have problems too, delegating "my" cake to other people to carry through...I'm so used to doing everything start to finish that it would be stressful hoping my students/assistants did everything the way I planned it out in my head!!!!

weirkd Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:39pm
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

LOL you guys!

Mary honestly though I think I would have problems too, delegating "my" cake to other people to carry through...I'm so used to doing everything start to finish that it would be stressful hoping my students/assistants did everything the way I planned it out in my head!!!!

Yah, I totally agree!
When I worked in an office and trying to teach people how to do my job was like banging my head against the wall! I finally ended up doing it all myself! I could just see me screaming at people during challenge! Nope! I would be a better assistant than the team leader!

Win Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 10:02pm
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

I speak to Ashley all the time! We talked during the commercial break after that portion of the show. She would agree with me that she is not a Pastry Chef icon_smile.gif

I'm 46, and I keep telling my husband that I'm going to Culinary School just so that everyone has to call me "Chef." It doesn't matter that I will someday graduate too old to actually work in the field, just so long as everyone calls me "Chef."

icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

mkolmar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:26am
post #29 of 39

Mary, you know I've been a huge fan of yours for years. (kissing up here)
Anyways, great job on the cake. It looked fabulous. All 3 of them did. I couldn't imagine the stress and would crumple under the strain probably. You earned that title Che baby, flaunt it!

That elephant was just too darn cute. I was so impressed by all the cakes.

moydear77 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:35am
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Mary, you know I've been a huge fan of yours for years. (kissing up here)
Anyways, great job on the cake. It looked fabulous. All 3 of them did. I couldn't imagine the stress and would crumple under the strain probably. You earned that title Che baby, flaunt it!

That elephant was just too darn cute. I was so impressed by all the cakes.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%