Need Help - For An Ugly Xmas Sweater Party

Decorating By tiffani_1 Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 3:36am by andpotts

tiffani_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffani_1 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:54am
post #1 of 12

They want a cake that will fit in to a ugly christmas sweater party/ christmas vacation cousin eddy party. I am drawing a blank.

I can only think of doing a cake with just a bunch of random holiday pics and junk thrown on it - ala cake wrecks or something. But, I think it needs to be a little more classier, and funny.

Any ideas? Pics?

11 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:04am
post #2 of 12

I'm picturing a green tiered cake, but done so that it's sort of an abstract Christmas-tree shape with a "clothes line" spiraling up around the cake with little "ugly" sweaters hanging on it? Sorry I'm not describing that so well. I tried to draw a sketch in paint, but it wasn't working.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:06am
post #3 of 12

It would be fun to do it like a sweater...make a sheet cake that looks like a folded sweater or sweatshirt (make a ribbed band for the collar). Think of everything you've ever hated about Christmas sweaters and put it on there...some snowflakes, holly leaves and gold jingle bells (made from fondant), a scary looking snowman, etc...

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:11am
post #4 of 12

One of Collette Peter's books has a sweater cake that looked very easy to do. I'll check and see which one it is and get back to you.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:11am
post #5 of 12

Hmmm - this may not sound like the best idea (but it's almost bedtime) but, why not make an "ugly" sweater cake, something that might be able to end up on cakewrecks? And make it with piped BC, so it's fuzzy. Use the grass tip.

Or, do a stack of folded cakes (use 8" square pans) and make each layer a different cake, and show the ugly cake designs.

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:14am
post #6 of 12

Here it is: Colette's Cakes, the art of cake decorating, page 55. It's a Father's Day sweater cake. Very cute!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:20am
post #8 of 12

Oops! double post

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:23am
post #9 of 12

just duplicate any of Ron's Christmas sweaters that Mrs. Weasley made for him in Harry Potter!

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 10:59pm
post #10 of 12

I'd do a topsy turvey...with ugly colour combo stripes, ugly colour polka dots, a few really tacky looking "pins", and make the border look like sweater ribbing, like on the cuffs, or the waist band..

So, less of an actual sweater, more of a combo of ugly sweater patterns.

Have fun! Don't forget to post a pic of how it all turns out icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:09pm
post #11 of 12

Here's a great sweater idea -- but it's a gorgeous sweater. Perhaps you can get some ideas from this cake:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=55459

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:36am
post #12 of 12

LOL, Doug.

Can I just say I love Christmas Vacation, that is a must watch at our house several times throughout the season! Depending how much you want to pull from the movie I think a cake that either looks like a house COVERED in Christmas lights and holiday paraphanelia would be awesome or a gift box with a cat escaping, lol! Otherwise I think a giant ugly sweater cake would be great, let me tell ya you can get lost of 'ugly sweater' design ideas on ebay. We're staging a desert Christmas ugly sweater party and we've all been able to order some doozies from there. I can't wait to see what you come up with!!

On a side note if anyone knows where to get a set of those moose glasses that Eddie & Clark slurp eggnog out of, I'd love a heads up, I've been looking for years! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%