Mmf Recipe Question

Decorating By laurs_1981 Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 9:28pm by Texas_Rose

laurs_1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurs_1981 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:40am
post #1 of 8

ok, after lots of searching, i found 2 recipes that recur over and over.....i'm not worried so much about TASTE at this point...as much as i am about DURABILITY and RELIABILITY....of these 2 mmf recipes, which have you guys had more success with:
#1:
16 ounces white mini-marshmallows
1 tsp clear vanilla
2-5 tbsp water
2 lbs powdered sugar

#2:
15 oz. mini marshmallows
2 T water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 lbs (approx 7 C) confectioners sugar, sifted
1/2 C Crisco or vegetable shortening

PLEASE let me know!!!...thank you icon_smile.gif

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:50am
post #2 of 8

I use the first one, but I use 1 tablespoon of clear vanilla and 3 tablespoons of water, or 4 tablespoons of water and 1 dram of Lorann flavoring.

It also takes some crisco, for greasing hands and work surface (or bowl and dough hook depending on your method).

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:47am
post #3 of 8

I also use the first recipe. It seems to work just fine for me and has great durability. Make sure you let it "rest" before you use it. It does make a difference.

Taste is a main factor for me. I have actually turned adamant fondant "haters" with the MMF.

Be prepared to use shortening for your hands and bowl!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:21am
post #4 of 8

I use #2, always turns out great and I like the extra pliability the corn syrup adds. Tastes good too. icon_smile.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:34am
post #5 of 8

Have you tried Mac's Mom's version? I used your #2 recipe for a long time, tried Mac's Moms and am hooked! The easiest one to make, best tasting and holds up better than any others I've tried.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 8

I've only used #1, and I do like Texas_Rose. 3 tbls of water and 1 tbls of vanilla or flavor. LOTS of greasing on your bowls and hands. I used to mix in my mixer with the dough hook. But now I do it in a big bowl by hand, and it's much easier for me.

laurs_1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurs_1981 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 8

thank you all for your input....would you suggest using store bought fondant for figures?...i heard this might help keep them more firm for lack of a better word....and no one generally eats the topper anyway..

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 8

The figures I've made were made with MMF. When I make flowers, I use gumpaste and it's a lot easier to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%