Mmf Recipe Question

Decorating By laurs_1981 Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 9:28pm by Texas_Rose

laurs_1981 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:40am
post #1 of 8

ok, after lots of searching, i found 2 recipes that recur over and over.....i'm not worried so much about TASTE at this much as i am about DURABILITY and RELIABILITY....of these 2 mmf recipes, which have you guys had more success with:
16 ounces white mini-marshmallows
1 tsp clear vanilla
2-5 tbsp water
2 lbs powdered sugar

15 oz. mini marshmallows
2 T water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 lbs (approx 7 C) confectioners sugar, sifted
1/2 C Crisco or vegetable shortening

PLEASE let me know!!!...thank you icon_smile.gif

7 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:50am
post #2 of 8

I use the first one, but I use 1 tablespoon of clear vanilla and 3 tablespoons of water, or 4 tablespoons of water and 1 dram of Lorann flavoring.

It also takes some crisco, for greasing hands and work surface (or bowl and dough hook depending on your method).

mommakristin Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:47am
post #3 of 8

I also use the first recipe. It seems to work just fine for me and has great durability. Make sure you let it "rest" before you use it. It does make a difference.

Taste is a main factor for me. I have actually turned adamant fondant "haters" with the MMF.

Be prepared to use shortening for your hands and bowl!

linedancer Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:21am
post #4 of 8

I use #2, always turns out great and I like the extra pliability the corn syrup adds. Tastes good too. icon_smile.gif

lchristi27 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:34am
post #5 of 8

Have you tried Mac's Mom's version? I used your #2 recipe for a long time, tried Mac's Moms and am hooked! The easiest one to make, best tasting and holds up better than any others I've tried.

HarleyDee Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 8

I've only used #1, and I do like Texas_Rose. 3 tbls of water and 1 tbls of vanilla or flavor. LOTS of greasing on your bowls and hands. I used to mix in my mixer with the dough hook. But now I do it in a big bowl by hand, and it's much easier for me.

laurs_1981 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 8

thank you all for your input....would you suggest using store bought fondant for figures?...i heard this might help keep them more firm for lack of a better word....and no one generally eats the topper anyway..

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 8

The figures I've made were made with MMF. When I make flowers, I use gumpaste and it's a lot easier to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%