How Do I Determine Debbie Brown Cake Serving Sizes?

Decorating By imartsy Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 10:46pm by imartsy

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:50am
post #1 of 4

I'm trying to do a speed boat for 20 - 25 people. Debbie Brown has one in her Naughty Cakes book - but I have no idea how many people it feeds. It starts out as a 12 x 5 in cake but then you carve some of it - how can I determine what size to make my cake so that it will be the same shape, but feed the amount of people I need to? I can never tell with her stuff how many people it will feed....

3 replies
imartsy Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:56am
post #2 of 4

Here's a link to the picture - warning it's a little "naughty" - basically cartooney looking women that are topless - I am not doing the women on top - just the speedboat

http://www.debbiebrownscakes.co.uk/naughty_cakes/pages/racy_speedboat_jpg.htm

imartsy Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:12am
post #3 of 4

guess no one else knows either?

imartsy Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 4

Well Debbie is awesome - I contacted her and asked how I can tell how many servings the cakes in her books make.... here's what she basically told me.....

They usually serve 15-30 depending on the slices - if you're based in the US the servings are much larger, so you may need to account for that

Still not sure - I think I'm making two 9 x 13 stacked and carving my boat - hope it works out.....I never know how big people are going to cut slices and it's hard to tell on a sculpted cake....I don't know how people who make sculpted cakes all the time know how many people it will serve...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%